Categories

Regarding major changes to costumes with VUs

@Limerx said:
Since costumes are no longer an item, they should just put an option bar in the costume closet, where players can select if they want something on or not. In this discussion, capes on or not.

That sounds too good and logical but it fails because you didn't answer the question of how they will make money off this on the consoles. That is the question that starts off every meeting at Gaz these days.

Location Waits in the dark with timeless patience. Looks forward to the signs that herald his end. Posts: 16,820 Cosmic

I think the VU looks much more epic but I do see both sides to this. Technically you bought it without the cape, they should honor that and make the VU have no cape. The variant should be sold with the cape instead.

I really would love my Jean's default to have the black triangle so hope this is one step closer to that reality.

I hate everyone

InvinciblePosts: 674 Amazing
edited October 15

@AmazonValkyrie said:

@ringspells said:
I understand that when a costume gets a VU, it will be changed from the original. But can we please not have major changes, like adding a cape to a costume that did not have one? I'm talking about Loki's Classic costume in this case, but this applies in general to VUs.

I hope that the VU of which we got a preview is actually Boss Loki from chapter 9, who does have a cape, and the costume will remain cape-less. A Cape version can be a variant.

This is the preview I'm talking about:

from this post.

I honestly adore this VU and disagree about not having major changes. A lot of us have been practically arguing with a brick wall trying to ensure major changes, at least for accuracy happen for costumes. The argument from Gaz is usually "we can't change this model this much due to 'x' amount of odd and off-the-wall reasons/agreements with Marvel", and honestly a lot of costumes have suffered because of this. Jean's green Phoenix costume may forever be a completely inaccurate recolor, Emma's White Queen costume might never see the fur collar, gem stone closure, and bob hairstyle that it should've also had from the start, and the list goes on. These all revolve around "major" changes and for the sake of posterity and accuracy, never do I want to deter Gaz from making a welcome, but big change to a costume that deserves that and more.

Loki looks leaps and bounds better than he used to, and cape or not it's a welcome change for me.

I can understand the accuracy argument. However, that does not apply here; the capeless version of this costume is not inaccurate.

The thing is that the things you mention are not major changes in my eyes. They may involve major work to get done, yes, but the elements aren't majorly changing the costume. A recolour? A retexture of a cape's collar to add fur? Those do not fundamentally change the elements present. Jean with a jacket or no jacket, those are major enough to warrant variant versions; so should the addition of a cape to a costume that didn't originally have it.

An update should not be an overhaul.

The costume I paid for did not have a cape, and was not inaccurate for it. I don't see why I shouldn't expect to be able to keep having it with no cape.

True BelieverLocation Stuck in the middle with youPosts: 2,404 Fantastic

I like the VU but I hate capes.

When I read comics, classic Loki didn't have the cape.

I would never have bought the VU version specifically because of the cape.

I hope a cape-less version will still be available.

Whatever you do, DON'T initiate Battle Plan Bravo!

Location Somewhere doing somethingPosts: 3,287 Cosmic

Uh what? Cape on Lokis default costume?

What are they doing? Trash Panda! .....

On other things, I want White Queen Emma with bob hair and cape.

I need that costume for my Emma :(

Waiting for Hercules and Jubilee to come.

@ringspells said:

@AmazonValkyrie said:

@ringspells said:
I understand that when a costume gets a VU, it will be changed from the original. But can we please not have major changes, like adding a cape to a costume that did not have one? I'm talking about Loki's Classic costume in this case, but this applies in general to VUs.

I hope that the VU of which we got a preview is actually Boss Loki from chapter 9, who does have a cape, and the costume will remain cape-less. A Cape version can be a variant.

from this post.

I honestly adore this VU and disagree about not having major changes. A lot of us have been practically arguing with a brick wall trying to ensure major changes, at least for accuracy happen for costumes. The argument from Gaz is usually "we can't change this model this much due to 'x' amount of odd and off-the-wall reasons/agreements with Marvel", and honestly a lot of costumes have suffered because of this. Jean's green Phoenix costume may forever be a completely inaccurate recolor, Emma's White Queen costume might never see the fur collar, gem stone closure, and bob hairstyle that it should've also had from the start, and the list goes on. These all revolve around "major" changes and for the sake of posterity and accuracy, never do I want to deter Gaz from making a welcome, but big change to a costume that deserves that and more.

Loki looks leaps and bounds better than he used to, and cape or not it's a welcome change for me.

I can understand the accuracy argument. However, that does not apply here; the capeless version of this costume is not inaccurate.

The thing is that the things you mention are not major changes in my eyes. They may involve major work to get done, yes, but the elements aren't majorly changing the costume. A recolour? A retexture of a cape's collar to add fur? Those do not fundamentally change the elements present. Jean with a jacket or no jacket, those are major enough to warrant variant versions; so should the addition of a cape to a costume that didn't originally have it.

An update should not be an overhaul.

The costume I paid for did not have a cape, and was not inaccurate for it. I don't see why I shouldn't expect to be able to keep having it with no cape.

No, I completely understand and honestly I don't blame ya for being upset about it. It's the kinda thing where this could've just been a variant much like the Nightcrawler AoA cape variant, and perhaps it still could be. I just didn't want to protest major changes in general because of my own issues with how certain costumes have been treated. Phoenix's collar change seems minor to me, but as for Emma's White Queen ensemble I see that being considered as set of more major changes/additions that weren't a part of the original model in comparison, and I'm a little afraid that they'll continue to allow the deviation judging by their past excuses. But I digress with my soapbox fury -_-

edited October 15

@AmazonValkyrie I get what you're saying, and understand your point better now. I guess what constitutes a major change is subjective, since the changes you'd like to see aren't what I'd consider major, but apparently Devs seem to? My first instinct is to say that I'm in favour of all changes that make costumes more accurate to their source, and I'd never want my stance on "major changes" to stand in the way of changes like the ones you mention, whose goal to have a more faithful representation of a given costume.

(edited for grammatical reasons)

Fearless LeaderPosts: 6,709 Cosmic

I agree with OP, should be a variant. And while we're at it, is it worth pointing out that that cape isn't lore at all. If they're going to call it 'classic', that would be this -

Don't remember ever seeing that costume with a fur cape.

Location Wandering in the eerie streets of Stratholme.Posts: 3,766 Cosmic

@AmazonValkyrie said:

@ringspells said:

from this post.

The quality of the model, I think, is not up for debate here, is simply awesome, among the best VUs, BUT to be called "Classic Loki" it can't have a cape. Is simple like that. Make a variant and is ok, let it with a cape for the boss is ok but the original and the canonical concept of this costume is capeless.

Loki first appearance.

AceLocation The Marvel Universe, where else?Posts: 928 Amazing

RE: Variants
Dear Gazillion,

You wanna make some $$$$$$????
And specifically from the PC crowd??

Listen to us (you know the ones with the wallets/billfolds and purses you want to empty)
Release the costumes WE want to see.
Call them VARIANTS and see what happpens to your coffers....

Do not rely on the information of the sales of variants YOU want released.
Do the bold thing (at least in this matter, as far as gameplay/bugs etc., that's another matter ;) ) listen to us.

Didnt they say the reason they NEVER fixed Jean's costume was bc they cant do major changes with the VUs?

@AgentPilot I'm not sure who I should tag regarding these concerns, but if you could pass it on to whomever is appropriate, I would appreciate it.

@Wizzer said:
I think the VU looks much more epic but I do see both sides to this. Technically you bought it without the cape, they should honor that and make the VU have no cape. The variant should be sold with the cape instead.

I really would love my Jean's default to have the black triangle so hope this is one step closer to that reality.

Storm 90 split cape variant and Emma White-Queen with fur on her cape are costumes that need variant/better VUs

edited October 17

I honestly couldn't care less if Loki has a cape, just give me MY BLACK TRIANGLE!

:D

edited October 17

@peetapipmac said:
I honestly couldn't care less if Loki has a cape, just give me MY BLACK TRIANGLE!

If you care about that triangle for lore/accuracy reasons, you should understand that there are accuracy issues with the cape as well.

@ringspells said:

@peetapipmac said:

If you care about that triangle for lore/accuracy reasons, you should understand that there are accuracy issues with the cape as well.

I don't. I just like it better. lol

AceLocation The Marvel Universe, where else?Posts: 928 Amazing

Re: The black triangle for Jean Grey.

(Yes...one more time. Not 100 percent that this is the case, but 99.99%! sure this is what happened)

The reference image that Gazillion probably got from Marvel was based on artwork from Marvel's Official Handbook packs (Not the printed comics per say, but the series designed to go into a binder - The Master Edition Number 13 ).

The artwork for Phoenix/Jean Grey is as you see in game: Green bodysuit, no triangle.

I suspect given the in-game lighting and other issues is why Jean Grey's suit is just green with the gold.
The in-game model should have been a black suit with large green specular highlights to more accurately match the reference given.

But as I have passionately asked for...Jean Grey Phoenix ORIGINS costume variant. Don't think folks wouldn't pony up for that one if it ever appeared. (And original STAR-LORD bug eyed helmet version, big 80's hair Savage She-Hulk Original costume or...you get the point)

@Asros said:

@peetapipmac said:

I'm working to get it in for the omega patch along with some other new stuff.

Re: Loki cape VU, I'm asking about what options we might have with this. Will let you know when I know more.

Can you work to get a correct Split Cape for Storm 90 costume too?
Here is a edit from Storm's forums showing how to make it perfect!
Key points @Asros that are missing: split cape and gold collar on her neck (her older costume version had it). The wedges are a case of a battle with @Lord.
![](> "")