Categories

Problem with Punisher Light-Weight Magazine Talent

Location MargaritavillePosts: 166 Incredible

Whenever you are trying to play modes like the Daily Bugle terminal where you have portals, this talent becomes very tedious and problematic because going through the portal resets the ammo to 100% but does not reset any of your power charges.

When I am fighting in places like the Daily Bugle and I've spent most of my ammo (say 10% left) and also used up most of my other power's charges (no reason to save charges of powers if you are close to triggering rapid reload) and then I go through a portal and have my ammo go to 100% but not reset all my charges, I'm hamstrung for fighting once I reappear at the other side of the portal.

There are workarounds, of course, like making sure you go to 0% ammo to trigger the rapid reload before entering a portal or firing all your ammo into space after you exit the portal to trigger rapid reload (tedious when you are at 100% ammo) but this can't really be how the talent was intended to play, can it? @zWolfiez

Thanks for the help and any improvements are appreciated!

GazillionLocation Behind the CurtainPosts: 246 Staff

Hi there.

So to answer your question, the answer is yes, that is an option. However, in order to do that, ammo would have to start empty when you first change to Punisher. In order to change that, we would need some backend tech. But I don't want to do that and have more players upset about that change. I'm going to see about getting that changed to make it function in a more reasonable way, but until then my hands are tied outside of the solution I mentioned.

I'm going to move this over to the Punisher sub forum to let players voice their opinion before making any changes.

Thanks for the response @zWolfiez . I'm a little confused on your answer because all I was doing was detailing my own gameplay workarounds not offering up a solution. My question was about whether this is functioning as intended or not. I guess it was my way of giving you the ability to just say that it is working as intended and I should live with it, which would be disappointing but just means I probably won't use the talent. Sorry for the long and confusing sentence.

Anyway, could you write down exactly what you are thinking of to fix this to avoid more confusion? That might elicit more comments from others as well.

edited October 6

Well, Ammo will regenerate whenever you go into a waypoint or portal with or without the talent, but not weapon charges. This is less troublesome if you don't use that talent since you can Reload anyways.

The temporary solution that I found would be change it so that you start with zero Ammo, and have to reload right away, since it also wouldn't regenerate. Which means every time you switch to Punisher, you would have to slot Reload, use it, then replace it again. That also would affect all Punisher players, not just those who opt for that talent.

The real solution involves an amount of engineering work to make it not get set back to full when you enter a new area. Which I will ask for, but no idea when there would be time for it.

TL;DR: Without engineering tech, Ammo is functioning as designed, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

@zWolfiez said:
Well, Ammo will regenerate whenever you go into a waypoint or portal with or without the talent, but not weapon charges. This is less troublesome if you don't use that talent since you can Reload anyways.

The temporary solution that I found would be change it so that you start with zero Ammo, and have to reload right away, since it also wouldn't regenerate. Which means every time you switch to Punisher, you would have to slot Reload, use it, then replace it again. That also would affect all Punisher players, not just those who opt for that talent.

The real solution involves an amount of engineering work to make it not get set back to full when you enter a new area. Which I will ask for, but no idea when there would be time for it.

TL;DR: Without engineering tech, Ammo is functioning as designed, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

what about changing charges to reset on portaling? that is the bigger problem of the talent.

@zWolfiez said:

OK, thanks for the explanation. I figured that the whole Portal entry issue is a big deal to change. I doubt that I'll want to slot re-load temporarily and then replace it. It's easier to just ignore that talent and slot Reload permanently. I just didn't want to have to use a slot for Reload because that's one less power I can use now and Punisher's got too many fun powers. B)

@Psimitar has a good idea above because that gets me my slot back but that's not a minor change.

OK, here's another idea @zWolfiez to make the Light Weight Magazine talent more useful/usable.

You could make that talent trigger Reload automatically when you have spent all ammo or have spent 8 gun charges. That would solve the problem for anyone like me who uses mostly charge powers. I say 8 to give people some leeway in builds. My build has 10 gun charges currently over 4 different powers when full but I go heavy on the gun charge powers. I don't count the dash charges and that's why I label it as "gun charges".

There are other variations on this theme so don't be held back by my idea. :)

@Psimitar said:
Another solution that would fix so many problems is to give us a dedicated button for our signature power like we already have for travel and ultimate powers. Then everybody can slot Reload and the problem is gone forever. ;)

Just for you @zWolfiez on Punisher's first row of talents. Over the past week, I prestiged my Punisher from white to red so I did some concentrated playing with him lately and tried out some different talents. For the set up that I want to play that involved mostly charge-based powers, the first row of talents is not very useful.

The lightweight magazine talent is not very useful for the reasons I described in my original post.

The high capacity magazine talent is not very useful because it doesn't impact the charge-based powers at all. I find that I'm mostly hitting RELOAD way before I am close to spending all my ammo so the benefits of the high capacity magazine are trivial. I've settled on using this talent, however, because it's the best of the bad options.

The rightmost talent is a melee attack so that it not useful to anyone like me who wants to play a ranged hero.

Anyway, if the BUE was about giving us options to use different builds, maybe the first row of talents could be revised to give us one option that improves charges instead of the light-weight magazine since Punisher has so many charge-based talents.

I appreciate all your communications. Thanks!

I already have the smart people around here looking into a solution for the Light-Weight Mag talent, so that your ammo keeps it current amount when you use portals and such. That should solve the issue in your initial post.

High Capacity Magazine is geared more towards players who prefer to use ammo spending powers over charges. I would like to see how your rotation feels once we get the ammo regenerating from portals sorted out before making any changes to this talent.

@zWolfiez said:
I already have the smart people around here looking into a solution for the Light-Weight Mag talent, so that your ammo keeps it current amount when you use portals and such. That should solve the issue in your initial post.

High Capacity Magazine is geared more towards players who prefer to use ammo spending powers over charges. I would like to see how your rotation feels once we get the ammo regenerating from portals sorted out before making any changes to this talent.

Great! If that annoying ammo problem went away, Punisher could be one of the best heroes.

Stark-TechLocation Everywhere and nowhere at the same time.Posts: 4,111 Uncanny

@Psimitar said:
Another solution that would fix so many problems is to give us a dedicated button for our signature power like we already have for travel and ultimate powers. Then everybody can slot Reload and the problem is gone forever. ;)

That's a good idea but which 1?
I was thinking y.
But there's probably a better 1 than that.

Somewhere I belong.

Location Be Better #metoo DVD's are an obsolete format in todays mediaPosts: 8,465 Cosmic

@zWolfiez said:
I already have the smart people around here looking

So many jokes to be made here that would have @AgentFenixion and @ModMentat shaking their heads.

Please stop blatantly setting up jokes please, it is very hard to resist

check the tweets for insight https://twitter.com/FatZackMorris

Ask your local CoKHead about CoKTalk if you want

@wotrick said:

zWolfiez said:
I already have the smart people around here looking

So many jokes to be made here that would have AgentFenixion and ModMentat shaking their heads.

Please stop blatantly setting up jokes please, it is very hard to resist

No. No. Do not proceed. :scream:

:wink: