Categories

Friday Summary (10/6) - Featuring Q&A with the Dev Team!

edited October 7

Hi All,

This week along with the normal news summaries we'll be bringing answers to some of your questions from last week's Friday Summary threads directly from the development team!

Let's get started!

CURRENT EVENT: OPERATION OMEGA

Operation Omega is currently live and will run through October 11th! Choose to help either S.H.I.E.L.D or HYDRA gather intel reports on various bosses and collect Omega Files for some exclusive rewards! A 50% server-side Experience bonus is also active for the duration of the event!

UPCOMING ITEM CHANGES

Earlier this week, @Winterthur previewed an upcoming addition to Omega Items that will allow players to consume an existing Omega Item and transplant its Omega Item set bonus to another Omega Item:

https://forums.marvelheroesomega.com/discussion/9352/omega-items-upcoming-changes

This feature will be implemented alongside Omega Items when the Omega patch lands for PC in November!

ANSWERS FROM THE DEV TEAM

Last week we pulled some questions from the Friday Summary threads and brought back some answers directly from the developers working on those topics.

While all of us on the community team do read all your questions and comments, we won't be able to answer every question posted. There's a wide variety of factors involved in terms of answering any questions about content currently in development, but we're committed to delivering as much information as we can. If you don't see your questions answered here, don't be discouraged - we're always on the lookout for great questions we can take back to the team, and we'll be continuing these Q&A portions of our Friday Summary threads, so keep your questions and feedback coming!

Early next week we'll also be announcing the date and time of the CEO & EP live stream that should happen later that week. This will answer burning questions we've collected from the community on a wide number of topics.

We know some players follow both the PC and console versions of Marvel Heroes Omega, so we've included answers from both forum threads for this week, with the questions from their respective forums sorted to the top:

@Jacyyur said:
I have a question or feature request about the costume closet.

One thing I was hoping the costume closet would do is provide a way to "try on" a costume you don't yet own to better judge if its one you want.

That is, the costume closet would involve a little brightly lit private room, analogous to a change room with a mirror at a typical clothing store, such that only when you're in that room you can equip any costume the game has regardless of whether you own it or not, while outside that room you can only equip costumes you own.

The idea here is that its hard to judge from pre-rendered stills alone what a costume really looks like, and only when you have it in 3D using the actual game rendering and lighting can you truly judge what it actually looks like. The store images or website images in contrast are static and use different renderers.

Do you think we can get that feature included too? If not with the omega update then soon after?

@AlienSuperMage says: We don’t currently have plans for that on PC, but that’s a great idea! I just put in a request for that and we’re going to look into the feasibility of adding it down the road.

@MightyMable said:
@AgentVapor what about the achievement costumes? what would happen to those? I still have yet to unlock sexy Gambit, Thanos Imperative Star-Lord, Formal Hulk, Prisoner Loki :(

@OperationXIV says: The achievements aren’t changing, so you’ll still have the reward for completing them. If you are still working on the achievement, you can continue to work towards unlocking its costume reward.

@SneakyErvin said:
There is one answer we would absolutley need an answer for, preferably even before friday since it is just a small question.

How will player on PC be able to unbind items after the omega patch hits? Will we still be able to unbind by using Unstable Molecules and credits aswell as Matrix as it is now or will we be stuck with the console system where it is Matrix only to unbind? Also will we keep our legendary refund recipes?

Couldnt you or someone else just spill the beans for us on this? Pwetty pwease?

@Winterthur says: On PC you will still be able to unbind gear using Unstable Molecules. Additionally, you’ll notice several item slots, including Slots 1-5 are no longer bound. For the time being the Legendary unbind recipe will be sticking around.

@Mjoll said:
@AgentPilot @AgentVapor What happens if we have some heroes with no default costumes at all?

The patch does 2 things: A) generates defaults for heroes that don't have one and B ) auto-blends duplicates. Which one happens first?

• If it auto-blends duplicates first then the auto-blender can make defaults for heroes that don't have a default which is bad.
  • If it generates defaults first it's ok.
  • If the auto-blender never makes defaults it's perfect.

@AlienSuperMage says: Great thought. We did consider that in developing the Costume Closet feature. Default costumes will never be chosen as costumes to be unlocked by duplicate costumes.

@Randomdrive said:
@AgentFenixion @AgentPilot
How important is hero balance to the devs? What metrics and criteria do you use (and can share) to assure you of hero balance? When players complain about a particular hero, how do you reconcile these with your internal metrics? Do they matter?

EDIT: What triggers the devs in thinking, "this hero needs to be improved?"

So we all have our fave heroes, so here is mine:

Cyclops has received several adjustments in the past few patches (Xbox1). They all impacted him negatively even though he is far from a top tier hero like Blade, Angela or Scarlet Witch. Can you explain what prompted these changes? (I'm thinking they were prompted from the criteria referenced above)

More importantly, what "design space" and leeway do you have to bring him up? Or is he where you think he should be?

Obviously, the Cyclops community think otherwise. It looks like Ant-Man is getting well deserved adjustments. How about the leader of the Xmen?

Thanks for the open communication - like these Friday Summaries. They are much appreciated!

@zWolfiez says: We have a lot of tools at our disposal when we look at hero performances. Roughly 35-40% of our changes stem from player feedback about certain builds under or over-performing. We then compare that feedback against various metrics we have available to see if it is accurate and why.

We have a sort of baseline median that we think heroes should fall in, in terms of their damage output compared to their survivability, and try to get heroes within a margin of that baseline. Since there is no such thing as perfect balance, there will always be a “best” and “worst” hero, and all we really care about is keeping the difference between the top and bottom as small as possible. Anytime we make a change, that list shifts and a new best and worst hero might emerge.

We don’t design purely for making the best hero... we also want to make heroes fun. If I want to play Magik with an army at her command and your Magik is a spell slinger... both of those should be viable and clear content in roughly the same pace as other heroes. There is a wide range of playstyles, and we want to encourage players to play their favorite hero how they want without feeling at a huge disadvantage.

@CarnuSaga said:
I'm curious about the process of creating a new Legendary, especially with as many as 50 new ones(!) being created for individual characters as more and more heroes receive the ability to Omega Prestige.

When creating a new Legendary that can be equipped to multiple characters, do developers take a look at what heroes would benefit from new Legendary options and then design an item that would ideally be a good option for several? Or do they start by coming up with powers/abilities/mechanics they'd like to see implemented into the game, and then afterward choose a character (or handful of characters) in order to focus the design process?

I'm also interested in the design philosophy behind the creation of new character-specific Legendaries for Omega Prestige. With the flat (rather than percentage) bonuses for Spider-Man's Legendary, it seemed the goal with that Legendary was to create an item that would make repeated re-leveling more palatable as opposed to a best-in-slot item. Will future Legendaries be similarly focused on rounding out the re-leveling experience, or are there other design goals you'll be looking to achieve with these items?

Thanks for considering my question!

@Winterthur says: This is an excellent question.

When we craft a new Legendary Item, we look at a few things. First and foremost, what keywords could use extra support from a Legendary Item? Does this Legendary Item thematically fit with what we’re doing? Once those 2 questions are answered, then comes the process of building it. For the first few ranks we tend to apply attributes that purely increase your offensive or defensive capabilities. Once those are decided upon, we begin crafting a thematic affix for the item itself. This could be something simple, like +4 to all Attributes, to represent the bond of the Four Horsemen with Apocalypse, or this can be something more flavorful like The Shield of Perseus turning your foes to stone.

This process is a bit different when making Hero Specific Legendary Items as these get to be a bit more personal. First and foremost these get an additional, already unlocked affix. In the case of Spider-Man, we stuck to what we knew and used flat bonuses for him. This is something that will be changing in an upcoming patch. Spider-Man’s Legendary Item will adhere to the rules set on the Legendaries after his, and he’ll retroactively get the procs to reset his Signature. When we see something isn’t performing or behaving as well as we had hoped we’ll go in and retune that so it’s a better experience for you guys. An example of this would be Psylocke’s Legendary Item Rank 5. In testing, this felt good. The percentages felt right. After watching you guys play with this, and hearing feedback on this. The Rank 5 will be getting a slight boost. Going from .5% to 2% per stack. We want these procs to be both useful, and fun to play with.

With great powers comes the great responsibility of making sure when you get one of these items you feel the power that comes with it, and the responsibility to clean up the streets!

The hero specific legendary concept is still early in. We’ve got some ideas with where we want to take this, including the re-leveling experience so stay tuned!

@IIKeliacII said:
are the enhanced horseman costumes available exclusively during the event? If so, about how long can we expect the event to last?

@AFongTwo says: The Enhanced Horsemen costumes and Apocalypse Loot Box will be available for a limited time - currently planned until the next major patch, which we don't currently have an exact date for just yet. We will announce the date they will leave the store or be unavailable for Essence soon. The Apocalypse content itself will however remain in the game after the event, just moved to a different location in the Waypoint menu.

@IIKeliacII said:
Also, I'd be interested to know how do you design characters to make sure their playstyle is distinctive and faithful to the source material?

@Chufmoney says: It’s a balancing act. We always try and leverage the work we’ve done before when that makes sense, but we also do a lot of research into each character and decide before we really get started what it is that makes them, them. Then, with their theme in mind, we start out with a paper design, getting external references from every source we can to put together a potential playable that is faithful to the hero.

After we know what the hero is about and have an idea of their powers, we can get a better idea about whether or not they will be “distinct” enough. If in our initial designs they seem to have too much in common with other heroes, but are still thematically correct, we’ll look to things like how they interact with their primary resource or try to think of a unique hook to them that will help them stand out. You see this with characters like Blade and his “blood lust” mechanic, or with Ant-Man and his shrinking/growing power interplay.

We hope you've enjoyed our first pass at a consolidated Dev Q&A, and we hope to do more of this. Reminder that next Friday we'll do our best to gather news on upcoming content.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Follow Marvel Heroes Omega!

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Twitch

True BelieverPosts: 389 Amazing

@AgentPilot said:

• When we do the scan across your inventory & S.T.A.S.H. upon first login, if you have multiple duplicate costumes on your account, we'll grant your account 1 random costume unlock that you don't currently own for every 3 duplicate costumes on your account, so these duplicate costumes don't go to waste. If there are 1 or 2 duplicate costumes left on your account after this process, we'll unlock one additional random costume that you don't currently own so the "remainder" is not discarded.

If I own all of the costumes, can I save my random costume unlock and use it when new costumes are released?

Pro FounderPosts: 452 Amazing

Even though I’ve soured on many things Gaz related lately I just wanted to say you do a great job @AgentPilot.

True BelieverPosts: 965 Amazing
edited October 7

@TheCipe said:

@AgentPilot said:

• When we do the scan across your inventory & S.T.A.S.H. upon first login, if you have multiple duplicate costumes on your account, we'll grant your account 1 random costume unlock that you don't currently own for every 3 duplicate costumes on your account, so these duplicate costumes don't go to waste. If there are 1 or 2 duplicate costumes left on your account after this process, we'll unlock one additional random costume that you don't currently own so the "remainder" is not discarded.

If I own all of the costumes, can I save my random costume unlock and use it when new costumes are released?

its automatic, although the original post said it would be a costume you don't already have. plus i very much doubt they would do what you are suggesting.

Location Daily Bugle BuildingPosts: 2,792 Cosmic
edited October 7

" allow players to consume an existing Omega Item and transplant its Omega Item set bonus to another Omega Item:"

hey, that's pretty nice.

uses Unstable MOlecules?

@Winterthur says: On PC you will still be able to unbind gear using Unstable Molecules. Additionally, you’ll notice several item slots, including Slots 1-5 are no longer bound.

Oh? OMega gear will Not be bound? This is kinda huge, eh? I have heard several concerns about having to re-grind multiple identical sets for other heroes. But if we can swap around amongst our own heroes that's interesting.

"Toad Men, Byrne?? Toad Men? I thought the cover was just a gag! I was all set for the Kree or the Skrulls... or even the crummy Kryloreans! But you stick me with the Toad Men??" ---Jennifer Walters

WelbyFlickr Cosplay pics
[VIDEO] My Random MMO vids.

Buddy's KickStarter Book! ComicRelated Short Stories.Share!

When the devs created Magik legendary they realized that she has a bad spirit regen/survability because a legendary that needs to give +200 spirit and +15% health and 15% spirit when you use the signature sounds weird. This legendary is too much a support item!
I can only imagine how this legendary could have been better if Magik had not so many spirit, health and damage issues...

@AgentPilot said:
Yeah, we have a bunch of broader burning questions as well for next week's CEO & EP live stream.

I understand the "bigger" questions will probably be for the live stream, I enjoyed the peek behind the curtain!

Roll on next Friday!

True BelieverPosts: 389 Amazing

@axan said:

@TheCipe said:

@AgentPilot said:

its automatic, although the original post said it would be a costume you don't already have. plus i very much doubt they would do what you are suggesting.

What happens if I have everything though at the point of the process?

Stark-TechLocation Everywhere and nowhere at the same time.Posts: 4,040 Uncanny

@WelbyHero said:
" allow players to consume an existing Omega Item and transplant its Omega Item set bonus to another Omega Item:"

hey, that's pretty nice.

uses Unstable MOlecules?

@Winterthur says: On PC you will still be able to unbind gear using Unstable Molecules. Additionally, you’ll notice several item slots, including Slots 1-5 are no longer bound.

Oh? OMega gear will Not be bound? This is kinda huge, eh? I have heard several concerns about having to re-grind multiple identical sets for other heroes. But if we can swap around amongst our own heroes that's interesting.

It be definably be nice change of pace.

Somewhere I belong.

True BelieverPosts: 965 Amazing

@TheCipe said:

@axan said:

@TheCipe said:

@AgentPilot said:

Then you don't get freebies i would think.

@Werebear said:
I have to admit, I'm....disappointed.

There aren't enough questions from the PC forums we will actually answer, so pull some fluff from the Console forums? Way to pad the post, man.

Is there really anything that would have made you feel content though? I mean, honest question. Most on the forums are so disjointed now I doubt there is anything gaz could say/do to sate their bloodlust.

My super fantastic custom sigareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaareaarea

Phoenix PoweredPosts: 1,011 Fantastic

@Quelaan said:
No answer to "is PC version license extended or not?". See ya next week!

The only person who can possibly answer that question is the CEO. Regular developers it was already declared this is above their pay grade. This Q&A was developers only.

Phoenix PoweredPosts: 1,011 Fantastic

@axan said:

@TheCipe said:

@axan said:

@TheCipe said:

@AgentPilot said:

Then you don't get freebies i would think.

What happens if one already owns all the costumes and would otherwise be granted more is a good question that I would expect there to be explicit logic for. I would anticipate some kind of substitute item, for example an ultimate upgrade token.