Categories

Density Shift and target lock issue

Every time I have a target locked(holding LMB) with one of melee powers(Phase Punch/High-Density Punch) and activate Density Shift power I lose the target lock, meaning that my hero stops attackking(punching). I have to re-click my target to start attackign again. It may seem like a minor issue , but it quickly becomes a major annoyance, since you have to do it every 8 seconds. Density Shift build concept is quite unique and fun in theory, but it heavily affects gameplay/rotation fluidity and can create other issues when fighting in crowded/visualy intense places like Patrols for examplem when you try to "re-lock" your target every few seconds.

It seems this has been an issue since Vision release. I read about some technical dificulties with fixing this, since Phase Punch and High-Density Punch are two diferent powers.

@zWolfiez
Could you please look into that?

I will also tag @MichaelMayhem, since maybe this issue could be solved "simply" by changing/merging Phase Punch & High-Density Punch into one power, that provides diferent benefits depending on stance, instead of having two totally diferent powers, which seems to couse this issue in the first place.

@zWolfiez @AgentVapor @KomoriMan

Any comment on this matter would be very welcomed :)

Location IstanbulPosts: 331 Amazing

I just started prestiging Vision, but targetin system is broken . aaarrgghhhhh.... Vision needs to wait until the fix comes

Hank PYM Hank PYM Hank PYM Hank PYM Hank PYM
WE NEED A REAL HANK PYM IN THE GAME

edited May 22

@zWolfiez said:
That solution is not as simple as you might think, due to how it is actually set up...but it would work. However, there may be a more elegant solution that one of our engineers can create. If so, I would rather go that route rather than rebuilding how those powers work.

Thank you for the answer! Either way I hope that maybe somethign can be done about it eventually. It is extremly annoying, to the point that most people seem to be abandoning any Density Shift related builds. It sucks, becouse it is really cool and interesting mechanic :)

GazillionLocation Behind the CurtainPosts: 246 Staff

I agree with you. The main reason I want to explore other options is to try and preserve the theme of the power. If we go with your suggestion, the animations would have to be the same. Personally, I like the look of swapping between fast and fluid to slow and deliberate. It really all depends on what we have time for.

I'm also curious to know if this feels as bad on controller, as well as having it assigned to something other than LMB. In any case, I will work to see what can be done to address this.

Location IstanbulPosts: 331 Amazing

@zWolfiez said:
I agree with you. The main reason I want to explore other options is to try and preserve the theme of the power. If we go with your suggestion, the animations would have to be the same. Personally, I like the look of swapping between fast and fluid to slow and deliberate. It really all depends on what we have time for.

I'm also curious to know if this feels as bad on controller, as well as having it assigned to something other than LMB. In any case, I will work to see what can be done to address this.

May be you guys can add a couple of new additional powers that changes when we change density. That mechanic has a very much potential that might draw players to play with Vision more.

Hank PYM Hank PYM Hank PYM Hank PYM Hank PYM
WE NEED A REAL HANK PYM IN THE GAME

edited May 22

@zWolfiez said:

I am really open to any solutions, if it could be solved without changing the powers, then even better. I only gave that power change suggestion, becouse from older topics about this matter(and it seems to be a problem since release of Vision) it sounded like there might be some serious technical obstacles that prevent fixing that. But again, if it can be fixed without interfering with powers, then all the better!

I just hope it can be fixed. I don't mind the way you guys tackle this issue :) Thanks again for taking interest in this matter! :)

Location UndisclosedPosts: 192 Incredible
edited May 22

@zWolfiez, this issue of losing the target lock is also in found Jean Grey whenever she switches from regular to Phoenix form.

Location Down SouthPosts: 88 Mighty

What if you take the density shift and make it a toggle, so you turn it on and off similar to the old toggles. I dunno if that would fix the issue, hell that might be the problem.

Relax Darling'. I wrested alligators before I could write my own name. This just feels like goin' home.

@zWolfiez said:
That solution is not as simple as you might think, due to how it is actually set up...but it would work. However, there may be a more elegant solution that one of our engineers can create. If so, I would rather go that route rather than rebuilding how those powers work.

Hey there! Its been a while, any news about possible solution to this target lock issue? Would appreciate if you could look into that again :)

Askani'sonLocation Austin, TXPosts: 2,564 Cosmic

@zWolfiez said:
So, I did some playing around with it a while ago before I get pulled off to other projects, and found that while a solution I can do is possible, it's quite time consuming. And it would have to be done for each non-cooldown power that you could assign to LMB, as well as lose as some of the overall theme of what we want to do.

There is a cheap (bad) solution which is to increase the cooldown of Density Shift and buff the effects up accordingly, but that would just make the problem less annoying and could raise other issues. It's still floating around the engineering queue, but they have a lot of more pressing issues to work out.

The short answer is if players want to try the cooldown increase route, I can make that happen for the Omega patch when there will be a lot of TC time to see if it actually helps or not. There is nothing I can do before then, unfortunately.

I'd say do the first solution or take the time to come up with a better one. I doubt there's any real need to do it until he's slated to come out on the console anyway. Take your time.

edited October 6

@zWolfiez said:
So, I did some playing around with it a while ago before I get pulled off to other projects, and found that while a solution I can do is possible, it's quite time consuming. And it would have to be done for each non-cooldown power that you could assign to LMB, as well as lose as some of the overall theme of what we want to do.

There is a cheap (bad) solution which is to increase the cooldown of Density Shift and buff the effects up accordingly, but that would just make the problem less annoying and could raise other issues. It's still floating around the engineering queue, but they have a lot of more pressing issues to work out.

The short answer is if players want to try the cooldown increase route, I can make that happen for the Omega patch when there will be a lot of TC time to see if it actually helps or not. There is nothing I can do before then, unfortunately.

Are you sure you would have to do this with all non-cooldown powers? Just to be clear, this happens only with Phase Punch/High Density Punch. You don't lose "target lock" with other powers like Solar Bolt, Channeled Solar Beam , Tri Beam or Solar Flare. You don't have to re-click enemy when you use Density Shift while attackign with any of those ranged powers. I just tested that to confirm(each of those powers was assigned to LMB for the tests).

So maybe you could apply this solution only to Phase Punch/High Density Punch?

As for "long cooldown solution", as you said it only woudl make this issue slightly less annoying and could potentialy create other problems(talent related for example). So its better to either pursue first solution or wait for somethign else.

GazillionLocation Behind the CurtainPosts: 246 Staff

@Nefffczi

Sorry, I was referring to Jean Grey when I said that. The issue happens for every power that changes into a different power, which in Jean's case is all of them. For Vision, his ranged powers don't swap when you shift, so they wouldn't be affected.

The problem with going with the first solution is that I would then have to change everything back once it's fixed the correct way. So, I think I would rather wait until I know if/when the tech can be written to fix it before trying my less-than-elegant solution. It's terrible in the short term, I know, but I think an engineering solution would be better than anything I can do myself.

edited October 6

@zWolfiez said:
@Nefffczi

Sorry, I was referring to Jean Grey when I said that. The issue happens for every power that changes into a different power, which in Jean's case is all of them. For Vision, his ranged powers don't swap when you shift, so they wouldn't be affected.

The problem with going with the first solution is that I would then have to change everything back once it's fixed the correct way. So, I think I would rather wait until I know if/when the tech can be written to fix it before trying my less-than-elegant solution. It's terrible in the short term, I know, but I think an engineering solution would be better than anything I can do myself.

I understand. You do what you think is best. Altho I hope we won't have to wait years for a solution ;)

Anyway, thank you for looking into that :) Even if some problems cannot be solved right away, it is good to have around a communicative and open Dev as you!