Categories

If Omega Prestige is going forward.. lower the level of Ultimate unlock, fix synergy with Signatures

AgentPosts: 2,299 Fantastic

@GazFirefly said:

He's talking about omega prestige (which IS coming to PC) and I was talking about power slot locking, which is not (currently). I didn't mean to hijack this post since it was originally about omega prestige, but my name was mentioned in regard to power slot locking and I wanted to just clear up some misconceptions players had.

So for sure PC is also getting Omega Prestige?

Thank you! I was worried that PC players would be neglected. I have been playing this game since it was in beta!

Location When you know, it's already too late. Posts: 866 Amazing

@GazFirefly said:

@HuntGod said:

@GazFirefly said:

1. All your power slots are typically unlocked by the time you reach level 24, so in the later levels you'd have a full power bar. I personally don't think it's very restrictive but people are entitled to their own opinion on it.
  2. While I can't give any guarantees that this won't eventually come to PC at some point down the road, I will say that we currently don't have any plans to bring it to PC.

You might want to let @asros know that...he seems to be under the impression that you are.

@Asros said:

We are planning on bringing this to PC. It requires the "omega patch" for the system to function, so it is estimated to release sometime after that

He's talking about omega prestige (which IS coming to PC) and I was talking about power slot locking, which is not (currently). I didn't mean to hijack this post since it was originally about omega prestige, but my name was mentioned in regard to power slot locking and I wanted to just clear up some misconceptions players had.

@HuntGod remember, PC is the 2nd priority now under console. Back burner =[

"I've died before..

It was boring, so I stood up."

VOTING: #BISHOP2018 #HYPERION2018 #THESENTRY2018 #APOCALYPSE2018 #FALCON2018 #ANGEL2018

MutatedLocation 616Posts: 4,607 Cosmic

@GazFirefly said:

@Tumedus said:

@GazFirefly said:

@Payneshu said:

@Rasetsu said:

@Payneshu said:

@Leowyld said:
One leveling "QoL" change that's going to make it painful when I Omega prestige on console is the new level-locked hotkeys. On console now, the amount of hotkeys you can used is locked based on level now. I don't think they are going to bring that to PC but it's definitely not impossible when they consolidate things between PC and console, unfortunately.

That sounds horrible. How did so many bad systems get implemented into the game?

Rationale :

@GazFirefly said:

@newbadone said:

@GazFirefly said:
This sounds like a bug on our end, guys. The slots are supposed to be locked but there shouldn't be any powers in them.

So the issue is that powers are locked and choice was thrown out the window but your take-away is that powers are still showing for some? Tone-deaf comes to mind.

Well I can give some insight into the thought process of why we went with locking power slots. We were originally noticing a few different things when it came to new players:

1. In the early levels, players would unlock a new power and it would automatically auto-slot into a given power slot. Most of the time players would not notice that a power was added (especially if it was a modifier power). When they did, they often didn't know what it did. We had to introduce tutorials to explain modifier powers (which I wasn't happy about, since everyone hates tutorials), and I'm pretty sure many players didn't notice them when they popped up anyway, as they would have just leveled and with so many things happening on a level up, it could be easy to miss.
  2. At the same time, players would receive a blip notification ("!") on their radial menu, indicating that they've unlocked a new power. Blip notifications are meant to be things we breadcrumb the player to in order for them to take some sort of action in a particular menu. However, because we were auto-slotting, new players would find their way to the powers panel, only to find themselves not knowing what to do, because there WAS nothing for them to do. After a bit they'd simply close the panel and move on, but this is a bit counter-intuitive, and diminishes the purpose of the blip notification. As a result, many players ignored the power panel and its notifications, and didn't bother to learn how their powers worked.
  3. Many players would also not learn about slotting powers until their entire "power bar" is filled and they finally unlock a 9th power. We want players to engage with the system a lot earlier than that.
  4. On more of a minor note, you'd be surprised, but we also saw feedback where some new players didn't understand the power modifier and when they pressed the modifier button they wondered why their powers "disappeared" because the slot now looked empty.

Again, this is behavior we were seeing with new players, so it's likely more experienced players like yourself didn't have this trouble.

We finally proposed the idea of locking power slots and removing the auto-slotting of powers. Locking power slots solves the above issues, as well as gives us new advantages:

1. Players will unlock powers faster than they unlock slots, so this means players have to think a bit more strategically about what powers they bring into a fight. This already happened after you hit 8 powers, but introducing it a lot earlier helps players understand the game's mechanics faster, and lets the player make meaningful decisions early on.
  2. Power slots become another "carrot" for players to look forward to unlocking.
  3. By getting the players to use the power panel more, they are introduced to their slots and learn about modifier slots before they have to use them, so by the time one of those slots unlock, the player knows what it is (and the tutorial we made becomes less important for players to have to see).

The downside of this, of course, is that existing players will see this as a "nerf" since we are taking away some of the available power slots until they level up. We were hoping to get this feature in before we launched, which probably would have lessened the negative impact it had on the player base, but unfortunately we had other, higher priorities, so apologies for that.

Sorry if my thoughts are a little jumbled. There was a lot of consideration that went into this, and I may have forgotten some of the other reasons. Unfortunately it sounds like the auto-slotting is still happening, and that isn't intended and making this feel worse than it probably would have been. We'll try to get this sorted out soon.

I lol'd

A couple of clarifications.

1. All your power slots are typically unlocked by the time you reach level 24, so in the later levels you'd have a full power bar. I personally don't think it's very restrictive but people are entitled to their own opinion on it.
  2. While I can't give any guarantees that this won't eventually come to PC at some point down the road, I will say that we currently don't have any plans to bring it to PC.

I realize this is already done on console, but why not make the power slot unlocks 1 time per hero? If you are going to make prestiging a long term progression mechanic, then you can't treat it like a new player experience every time. That becomes tedious.

On PC, whenever I started doing a prestige series with a character, I would plan a skill path that involved the least amount of skill changes as possible (sometimes it was unavoidable for one or two depending on the character). That way I could basically just power through the content and never worry about fiddling with the skills apart from occasionally setting specs/talents.

I understand the new player experience is important, but you also have to think about how this affects players long term. Small annoyances can become a really big deal when you are asking them to deal with it 77 times per character.

Yep, agree. When we were initially implementing this, that question was asked, and we decided to keep things the same as the initial leveling experience for now, and just gauge player response. Console players expressed this as well, so this is something we'll probably take a second look at.

as someone who has just powered through Carnage in the past 2 days to get to Red prestige, powered through meaning finally sat down and did it when I had some time, resetting over and over is really annoying and should be done away with. once is enough, no point doing it over and over again. Talking about powers here just to clarify.

@KevinBoleware

I'm sure if we were just more patience and accepting the omega patch would be here already, right?

True BelieverPosts: 164 Incredible

Good to see things are looking up!

lol

Location Working on my whack-a-doodle buildsPosts: 4,641 Cosmic

@Radspakr said:
Guys it seems a dev seems to have snuck onto the forums.

How do we handle this?

Agentfeniox can fix this !

I'm just saying, it is "LAB" with an extra B.

Team-Ups 2272/2280

Max levels = 2340 missing Howard the Duck ( 3/4 )

Total Hero Levels 3180/3180 11:19 PM 11/30/2015

Green levels 2580/3000

Free the Duck
Location Behind YouPosts: 529 Amazing

It's pretty much backwards to me to let something like Omega come in an act as a better system, while it brushes of Cosmic like it were mathematically dysfunctional. When the power of cosmic is a better power than what omega is.

Venom Bores Me, Make A Playable Sandman

@GazFirefly said:

Yep, agree. When we were initially implementing this, that question was asked, and we decided to keep things the same as the initial leveling experience for now, and just gauge player response. Console players expressed this as well, so this is something we'll probably take a second look at.

Thanks for listening!

I'm still looking for an answer on 'what happens to already cosmic prestiged characters?'

I've got numerous ones I've done (including Spider-Man). I'm doing another right now. Am I wasting my time right now? Does the xp I've earned by achieving lvl 60 cosmic prestiged toons get translated in X levels of Omega Prestige? Or, is it wasted?

Should I just wait until Omega Prestige is live?

One thing - I like getting cosmic prestige started during cosmic chaos events as it makes it easier to find low level gear for them, although, even purple gear can be good for a couple of starting levels. Hit Midtown on Monday, gear up for the first ~ 11 levels until uniques are dropping at 12.

@GazFirefly Any chance the original idea in the thread is being addressed?
Lowering the Ulitmate level back to 52 or so?

Location Black ForestPosts: 4,916 Cosmic

@GazFirefly said:
He's talking about omega prestige (which IS coming to PC)

So you guys want the game to die? OK.

I am not proud of the numbers but you can see the my battle-tag.

@BohemianRhapsody said:

@Radspakr said:
Guys it seems a dev seems to have snuck onto the forums.

How do we handle this?

Don't make any sudden movements or you'll scare it off again.

Damn it I think we spooked it.

Well it's official we tried and we lost.