Categories

The Marvel Heroes Omega PC servers will be unavailable on 9/21 at 6 AM PDT for server maintenance. Downtime is expected to last up to 5 hours.
12346»

Dear David Von Dorman:

Location If you think Becky was a whora and deserved it, I won't hold it against you.Posts: 7,995 Cosmic
edited July 15

@Rasetsu said:

@KomoriMan said:

• For those plotting to gather some information from me regarding our latest live-stream... good luck. :D

@Rasetsu said:
@Wotrick @Xanderbigzz @SneakyErvin

Let's make a deal to put this matter to rest : In a few hours @KomoriMan will post his Friday summary, someone will ask him what is the status of the PC license (but it has to be in the hours following its opening because we only have a small window during which KomoriMan actually reads/answers the questions on those threads). If he still choose to not answer (even thought he is able to, after all the CEO and other devs have talked about it even if for some people it was not clear enough) or in a vague maner, then ... then I suppose we will have to draw our own conclusions.

Leads me to believe that Dormans statement was console centric and a new PC deal has yet to be reached.

Not crazy for thinking that way right? To borrow a phrase from @SneakyErvin, logically speaking if the CEO mentioned it there would be no problem confirming it if all parts were equal.

Location Wandering the left hand pathPosts: 4,655 Cosmic

@wotrick said:

@Rasetsu said:

@KomoriMan said:

• For those plotting to gather some information from me regarding our latest live-stream... good luck. :D

@Rasetsu said:

Let's make a deal to put this matter to rest : In a few hours @KomoriMan will post his Friday summary, someone will ask him what is the status of the PC license (but it has to be in the hours following its opening because we only have a small window during which KomoriMan actually reads/answers the questions on those threads). If he still choose to not answer (even thought he is able to, after all the CEO and other devs have talked about it even if for some people it was not clear enough) or in a vague maner, then ... then I suppose we will have to draw our own conclusions.

Leads me to believe that Dormans statement was console centric and a new PC deal has yet to be reached.

Not crazy for thinking that way right? To borrow a phrase from @SneakyErvin, logically speaking if the CEO mentioned it there would be no problem confirming it if all parts were equal.

It is odd that @KomoriMan wont give us a straight answer, but it might be over his paygrade and none of our business what Dorman refered to. I still think it was PC related because otherwise they'd have a really Trash Panda! deal and foundation for the console port. And as I said, getting SoE and MS involved without a guarantee seems even more odd, because they need to have been on board since day one of development. They cant really create a product and then try and get an agreement with distributors in this case.

But we'll see when we get an official answer to it, if we ever will.

This is also not the first time a hint of a PC renewal has been seen or heard without confirmation. We have the F4 blog post that got removed that also hinted it was done due to a PC renewal.

Rather a day as a wolf than a thousand years as a sheep.

Also people seem to forget that even the latest patch notes have said PC will continue as the lead platform. So unless Both Komori and Viper is flat out lying on several occasions, PC is going nowhere.

@SneakyErvin said:
Also people seem to forget that even the latest patch notes have said PC will continue as the lead platform. So unless Both Komori and Viper is flat out lying on several occasions, PC is going nowhere.

Well, we actually KNOW that KomoriMan has already lied to us about the reason why they have done the console port. (in an absurd way because they called what the CEO had been saying in a PUBLIC interview ON THE INTERNET a conspiracy theory. I have no idea how MichaelMayhem and him thought they could get away with this one.)

Also, it has been said several time that the console version was the superior version (thus the PC version is the inferior one) so it's hard to really see it as their "lead platform" from their perspective. The Console version is the version the current team has been able to design from scratch, with their ideas, that they find better.

They have said that the console version :

• has more tactical fights than the pc version
  • has a better stat system
  • has a better crafting system (and that asros had "dedicated his whole life for the past few months" on this particular feature)
  • has a better item progression
    and so on and so on.

Total hours played on Steam in 2016: 17 474 560,2
Total hours played by the whole community in 2016 according to gaz : 21 517 247
17 474 560,2 / 21 517 247 = 0,8121187715138465

@SneakyErvin said:

It is our goal that Mr. Fantastic reaches a whole new audience with his entertaining animations and flair for the dramatic.

That was in the patch notes at one time too. Point being things change

edited July 15

@xanderbigzz said:

@SneakyErvin said:

It is our goal that Mr. Fantastic reaches a whole new audience with his entertaining animations and flair for the dramatic.

If you want to accurately quote them it's not "things change" but "priorities shift".

(and to clarify : I still think they have renewed the license, I just find they have a real problem with how they are communicating and they are boosting people's "fears" for no reason. They have shown that they were under no NDA about this, that they could talk about this if they wanted, so just state it clearly once and for all and be done with it)

@xanderbigzz said:

They havent failed with that. He is far better in every possible way since he got updated in the BUE.

@Rasetsu said:
Well, we actually KNOW that KomoriMan has already lied to us about the reason why they have done the console port. (in an absurd way because they called what the CEO had been saying in a PUBLIC interview ON THE INTERNET a conspiracy theory. I have no idea how MichaelMayhem and him thought they could get away with this one.)

Also, it has been said several time that the console version was the superior version (thus the PC version is the inferior one) so it's hard to really see it as their "lead platform" from their perspective. The Console version is the version the current team has been able to design from scratch, with their ideas, that they find better.

They have said that the console version :

• has more tactical fights than the pc version
  • has a better stat system
  • has a better crafting system (and that asros had "dedicated his whole life for the past few months" on this particular feature)
  • has a better item progression
    and so on and so on.

Nothing I've seen or heard from KomoriMan.

And obviously the console is superior atm. It has had 1 and half years of work put into it to improve the game for a release on console. We got parts of it with BUE. Parts of the rest is coming as it fits on PC. There was alot to fix. It still doesnt mean the PC will be less of a lead platform. It just needs to get updated a bit. It still has the most content and get the releases first i.e lead platform. There would be no point releasing the console version as a copy of current PC when they have the chance to change things from the ground up without thinking about the current stats and mechanics. There are other console ports aswell that are very different from their PC versions, D3 being a prime example. They have alot of things the PC doesnt have, things I wouldnt mind seeing on PC.

And honestly I have to ask. What company goes out there and tells the public of the contract agreements and time frames? Not many if any.

@SneakyErvin said:
And honestly I have to ask. What company goes out there and tells the public of the contract agreements and time frames? Not many if any.

Not many companies are developing online games using other people's IP (and they rather tend to fail before the expiration date becomes relevant for the players).

And here we know they can and have sort of talk about it (even the expiration date it seems) so there should be no problem with just saying "yes, we meant that the PC contract has been renewed". It would put everything to rest.

@Rasetsu said:

@SneakyErvin said:

Not many companies are developing online games using other people's IP (and they rather tend to fail before the expiration date becomes relevant for the players).

And here we know they can and have sort of talk about it (even the expiration date it seems) so there should be no problem with just saying "yes, we meant that the PC contract has been renewed". It would put everything to rest.

There are plenty of IP games around where people dont know the lifetime left. Neverwinter, Star Trek, Star Wars, Conan, DC, Champions etc. Those have all been around for years and there has never been talk about it. Brevik wasnt a business man, he didnt mind spoiling or saying things he shouldnt had. Now alot has changed with the company and there are some thing we honestly arent entitled to know, even though we want to and even though it used to be told to us by the former "top men". This casual attitude the old rule had is also the reason why we all, including Gaz and the game are in the situation we are now.

True BelieverLocation Right herePosts: 4,027 Cosmic

@christs said:

@Rasetsu said:

@SuperWG said:

@Rasetsu said:

@SuperWG said:
But First off, I'm pretty sure the CEO wasn't here a whole two years.

20-21 months more or less (Brevik left in september 2015 even if they only announced it two months latter because they needed to finalize the transition).

Secondly, I think the content we got based on Civil War and the new Vulture terminal is pretty nice (wish the Civil War thing would come back though).

They don't really solve the real content issue. (we are not lacking content, we are lacking relevant content. It's not the same thing. If they don't work on the real issues then what happens is that people play the new content for 2 weeks and then just stop. Those issue being mainly related to the loot hunt and the actual gameplay of this content.)

Third, what tv show or movie was the chapter 10 skrull invasion a tie in for?

It was already in development in 2014. It's not like they were going to throw away the work of the previous team.

All fair enough I guess. Skrulls were delayed for a long time. But what did you mean when you said the actual gameplay of the content was bad?

On top of the fact that they have admitted themselves that their boss fights are lackluster (but allegedly they are working on this, it's just that at this point the boss and mobs update devblog is 9 months late) they have made bad decision regarding how to develop content.

If you know your game is based on farming, don't just make the players farm the exact same thing for hours and hours. add randomness to the mix. There is a mountain of difference between farming X-Def and farming midtown or terminals. Those are two very different experiences for the players. Of course even when X-Def was relevant, it still needed work but it was a step in the right direction.

They have privileged Midtown because it's a game mode which inherently tends to hide the inbalance between the characters, and also because there is no concept of faillure in midtown.

They have developed X-Def, Holo-sim and Danger room, three game modes that could have been put on the front stage (heck, a dynamic game difficulty balancing was exactly what we needed and it was already baked into two of those game modes.) . Two of those have been practically left for dead as soon and they launched when gaz saw that it didn't encounter the success they were hoping for, because they didn't want to think about why it wasn't the case and how to fix it. (and if they have, it means that they didn't deem it worth their time)
@Attackfrog said:

@Lace said:
Yes you are. But if you are enjoying the game, pleased continue to financially support it with lots and lots of money. Someone has to. Since I still jump in briefly to connect with my friends, I hate to see the servers going dark, even for a game I hardly play these dates.

@Attackfrog said:
I must be one of those "fanbois". I like this game and played it regularly, as well as spent money over the last few years.

I must be so ignorant that the whole time I thought I was having fun playing a fun game. I am glad posts like these can enlighten me and show me that I wasn't actually having fun and I should dislike this game because reasons.

Actually, this post follows right along the Marvel/Disney theme of telling me what to like/buy/think/vote for.

PS: I didn't read the whole thing. Got to the part about "fanbois" and was too enlightened to finish.

The OP is so off base in so many points, I don't even know where to begin. Nobody likes to feel like they have been treated like crap, but the first 2 years of this game were VERY player friendly.

I think the OP, along with many people (yourself included, it seems) forget that this game is a business. The first two years were obvious displays of the love the developers had for this IP....but that wasn't able to turn a profit (as so often happens with labors of love).

I agree that the last year has been garbage (which is why I have spent $0.00 on this game this year) but something had to change.

Lots of people are salty about the change but this game had to do something to stay in business.

It doesn't make it any less fun to play. And if you don't like it, there are thousands of games to spend money on. It is the miracle of a free market.

You can call people fanboys and white knights all you want but it doesn't change what we want: a fun Marvel game. So far this is the best there is. And when it hands me garbage like it did this last year, I give my money elsewhere. But I will continue to give credit where it is due. I am hopeful that we are at an upswing for this game but if not, no worries because I have a Warden tank and a necromancer to finish gearing.

If its a business then customers must matter. Stopping customers from playing or buying products is treating certain customers like crap. In the PC version there is nothing many players want to buy, on the xbox one there are tons to buy if many could. This to me shows their true colours.

I haven't bought anything in almost a year. Even when Carnage is released, I will probably buy him with spinters or the G's I had from when I got one of those huge coupons a long time ago. The advance packs were something I always spend real $ on, but those aren't an option this year.

Taking care of customers and making money can be two different things. This last year, they didn't really do either. In fact, they did some pretty scummy things. Hopefully they are at a turning point, and based on what their plan is, it sounds like they are.

I doubt they will ever "take care of us" they way they did in the first two years, but then again, that business plan failed. Ironically, that is when I spent the most money, but evidently, not enough people did.

"You can have fun, or you can have safety, but you can't have them both" -a ten year old

Location Darkside of the DeathstarPosts: 2,557 Fantastic

@wotrick said:

@Rasetsu said:

@KomoriMan said:

@Rasetsu said:

Considering @KomoriMan 's cheeky comment about getting him to talk about the stream, I'd have to lean towards Gaz planning some kind of event or celebration for PC players once they announce, but are holding back announcing until that event is ready so as not to make a promise that gets delayed by prematurely speaking about it.

But then again, it could be just wishful thinking on my part.

HOLY CRAP DUMP VANILLA ALREADY!!

I had another look at the stream and Dorman says they are "3 weeks into a 5 year overall contract" and that the console version got the green light for release about 1 year ago from Marvel after Gaz showing of samples of it.

Either way with the contract up in 2019 initially and the state the game was in financially it would honestly be stupid to keep pumping money into something that is losing money and not far from being shut down without a major increase in revenue and the decision of an outside factor if the risk would even pay off.

Passion doesn't pay bills cash does.

I made a really cool signature then my ADD kicked in and I forgot to save it.

edited July 15

@SneakyErvin said:
Neverwinter, Star Trek, Star Wars, Conan, DC, Champions

In fact most (all) of the examples you are quoting have announced when their license got renewed (but not when it would be due next).

• Neverwinter : as far as I understand it the license is not really relevant. You don't need online servers and the devs don't have to develop the game anymore.
  • Star Trek : it expires in 2018, don't think they have announced anything.
  • Starwars : in 2013 they announced that they had the right for 10 more years.
  • Conan : Renewed in 2015 I don't think they have talked about the expiration date though.
  • DC : When the company was bought in 2015 the new company got the renawal, I have not found a precise date for the expiration date (some are saying 2018 but I have not found the original comment from the devs and it seems they have said that it wouldn't be for 2018 and that they had a few more years).
  • Champions : They have actually purchased the entire rights here (and THEN they licensed it to the original owner).

And again, the new team has already talked about the license renewal (heck, they have even talked about for how long it would run). Some people just want them to clarify what they meant regarding whether or not it encompass the PC version or not. I think it probably does, but they are doing themselves a disservice by not stating outright.

12346»
This discussion has been closed.