Categories

Attention Heroes! Server downtime planned for tomorrow (7/27) at 6:00 AM PDT to 9:00 AM PDT. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Enhanced Costumes vs. Playables

True BelieverLocation Waiting for Nightcrawler Bamf VFX fix since JanuaryPosts: 18,243 Cosmic
edited July 13

@zeroere said:

@Aerax said:

As someone who already owns Johny I would still buy Firestorm for the sakeof playing as the character or any fire based character with a similar power set to the now exclusive Johny.

Sunfire would probably be easiest, and AoA Sunfire the coolest....make it so Gaz!

Firestorm is DC.

And I would hope that Sunfire doesn't end up as a costume for a completely unrelated character.

But this news from @Asros does lead one to yet again question the decision to make Odinson a separate playable hero instead of a costume.

The Unofficial Costume Threads Thread
for all your Marvel costume ideas!

Wanted Playable ◎ Pyro ◎ Ka-Zar ◎ Havok ◎ Angel ◎ Banshee ◎ Falcon ◎ Gladiator ◎
◎ Devil Dinosaur ◎ Guardian ◎ Captain Britain ◎ Avalanche ◎ Jack-of-Hearts ◎ Hellstorm ◎
◎ Werewolf By Night ◎ Quicksilver ◎ Machine Man ◎ Quake ◎ Black Knight ◎ Sunfire ◎
◎ Silver Samurai ◎ Corsair ◎ Darkstar ◎ Quasar ◎ Maverick ◎ Dazzler ◎ Groot ◎

Wanted Villains ◎ Arcade ◎ Vulcan ◎ Wendigo ◎ The Sack ◎
Wanted CostumesRocket DogMarvel 'Girl'ProletarianSentinel Squad ONE
Wanted Pets ◎ Lockheed ◎ Cr'reee ◎ Zabu ◎ Sassafrass ◎ Stan Lee ◎
Wanted Team-Ups ◎ FalconDaytripperLockheedThingStan Lee
True BelieverLocation Waiting for Nightcrawler Bamf VFX fix since JanuaryPosts: 18,243 Cosmic

@Maggotbreath said:
One other thing to look at with Unworthy Thor, he's a character who's moves will change based on the weapon he's using.

With this costume thing altering that even further, I image they could do Hercules, Valkyrie, Ares and various other costumes for him.

I would hope they don't do those as none of those characters are actually related to Thor.

It's like saying just make Wonder Man a costume for Hulk because they're both super-strong, or make Sif a costume for Deadpool because they both use swords.

Thankfully thus far Gaz have had the common sense to only do costumes for related characters, like Wiccan for Scarlet Witch & Mar-Vell for Captain Marvel.

Besides, all those you mentioned have plenty of costumes of their own that fans would then miss out on if reduced to being made an enhanced costume.

Wanted Playable ◎ Pyro ◎ Ka-Zar ◎ Havok ◎ Angel ◎ Banshee ◎ Falcon ◎ Gladiator ◎
◎ Devil Dinosaur ◎ Guardian ◎ Captain Britain ◎ Avalanche ◎ Jack-of-Hearts ◎ Hellstorm ◎
◎ Werewolf By Night ◎ Quicksilver ◎ Machine Man ◎ Quake ◎ Black Knight ◎ Sunfire ◎

@zeroere said:

@Maggotbreath said:
One other thing to look at with Unworthy Thor, he's a character who's moves will change based on the weapon he's using.

With this costume thing altering that even further, I image they could do Hercules, Valkyrie, Ares and various other costumes for him.

Thunderstrike!

Now that's a character related to Thor which would make a lot more sense to have as an enhanced costume.

At this point would anyone even care if the game went P2W? What's there to win anyway when there's barely any players left playing the game?

Location That's how I survived. Time and time again. I survived because I willed it to be.Posts: 274 Amazing

@Radspakr said:
So a power library would have blank spots for the powers a costume would add?

You're looking at going in the direction of Future Fight in some areas that's great, this has me concerned.
With this we moving further into P2W territory.
It'd be one thing if the powers were augmented but performed the same.

Using Miles as an example replacing one of Spidey's attacks with Venom Blast, damage output could be the same.
Or like the RR second movie costume changes Warpath that is fine but a costume actually improving a hero could be bad.
Especially if you're moving in the Lootbox/FC direction.

How would it even be p2w if there is no real pvp system in the game?
I think this Future Fight tech will be awesome because it will allow them to do more and create more builds with heroes.

@asros i know it is still in development but will creating echanced costumes/heroes be less time consuming? For example if you guys were to release Angel or falcon they have the archangel and the movie falcon versions that have different power mechanics, so will these costumes require the same amount of time/resources or less than it would to create a separate hero like unworthy thor?
And do you guys plan on using this new tech on the gaz original 4 horsemen to make them even more unique than just having it be a costume?

@leaveyouinthedust said:
I think this Future Fight tech will be awesome because it will allow them to do more and create more builds with heroes.

For the paying costumers only. And thats the problem.

#makeunibeamgreatagain

Location New TianPosts: 92 Mighty

oh wow we can finally see Ruby Summers I lovee

Location Retired SuperheroPosts: 932 Amazing

@Shawtron said:
Posting this for AmazonValkyrie who was having trouble posting a response to the thread:

AmazonValkyrie said:

I'm all for having more and varied enhanced costumes, especially if they can alter movesets. However there are some characters that I feel are better off being added as their own characters. Having one enhanced costume to represent a unique character severely limits the revenue gained on possible extra costumes for said character.

My preferred example is Polaris. Sure she has similar powers to Magneto, however she has displayed an even greater control over magnetic fields and electrical energies (Magneto even used her to do so), even communing with the dead of Genosha via Earth's magnetic field. She's also a character who has existed and widely been in comics since 1968, which means she's amassed quite a wardrobe. Just check out her many costumes here If she were just an enhanced costume, which look is she going to be tied to for the duration of the game's life? In this example there are so many costumes that fans, both new and old alike would be apt to purchase. As a stand alone character, an example like this is much more apt to bring in more money than it would as just a single enhanced costume to represent her persona.

I feel enhanced costumes work best for ones such as those that we already have in game who generally only have one look. Shuri, Lady Loki, American Dream, etc, they're all known for one main outfit, which makes them great candidates as enhanced costumes that will only ever have one look to define their character.

@Asros A suggestion for an enhanced costume I would like to add to the mix: Psylocke, before the ninja transference. Psylocke was just a telepath in the beginning, and her original costume could finally (and properly) be utilized. It means her moves could be feasibly be changed to pure telepathy for the costume:

or

Just my thoughts, as I'm [obviously] one of the people rooting for Polaris as a stand alone playable, however these ideals could be applied to many other beloved characters who deserve to be playable as well.

Why couldn't they just slap the power set on multiple Polaris costume releases. Once the work is done its just copy paste to Costume X, Y or Z.

Yup.

WallcrawlerPosts: 4,758 Cosmic

Well, this is definitely intriguing/exciting. This could either be amazing... or be handled horribly. A few questions/concerns that I know probably can't be addressed;

• I am all for these as long as they are not locked behind fortune cards, and if we aren't gouged on the price. Considering there will already be a 'prerequisite' of owning a hero before buying a costume to alter said hero, I think the pricing should take this into account. Somehwere in the Enhanced to Variant/Chase price range probably seems fair. Hopefully no price protection on this though, as both costumes and hero sales are already a thing, a costume that gives some new powers should still have sales, imo.

• That said if you want to put a variant of one of these enhanced costumes behind a fortune card, I could maybe stomach that. Meaning like a second costume for an enhanced hero.
  • Would these be purchasable with splinters? I'd like to think they would as the game should adhere to F2P players for all content like this, imo.

• As others have said, it's entirely reasonable to not add these to the costume blender.

• I have to put a strong no on the idea of a costume that just enhances the power level of existing skills as @Aerax asked in the last question of his Q&A section of the OP. A costume that just grants more charges on a dash, a longer stun, a more potent/longer duration DoT, etc would be awful; I really don't think that's what you're intending, but I'd be completely against that sort of thing. It would be one of the most blatant P2W things you could do.

• And I'm wondering if Odinson could maybe be the first of these that we see? Maybe this is the answer to the negative feedback players gave on the Odinson announcement? Though that would be a lot of work to implement a system like this in time for Ragnarok.

Just some food for thought @Asros .

Location In Borneo, being wildPosts: 1,684 Fantastic

This game isnt p2w atm. And i hope it doesnt head in that direction

WallcrawlerPosts: 4,758 Cosmic

As for suggestions for what enhanced hero costumes I'd like to see? Oh, there are quite a few...

• (AoA) Blink for Nightcrawler.

• Molly Hayes/Princess Powerful for Thing (or maybe Colossus)?

• X-Man for either Jean or Cable. Though I figure Jean's power set makes more sense.

• (AoA) Sunfire for Human Torch. Finally a chance to see this costume in game!

• Bucky Cap for Captain America or Winter Soldier. Or maybe both? That would be cool.

• Red Hulk for Hulk.

• Polaris for Magneto.

• Maybe Havok for Cyclops? Or is that stretching it a bit?

• Sabretooth for Wolverine.

• Daken for X-23. (Or are both Sabretooth and Daken similar enough to just be normal enhanced costumes?)

• Jessica Jones for Luke.

• Miles Morales for Spidey.

• Kamalah Khan for Mr. Fantastic.

• Punisher Sorcerer Supreme for either Dr. Strange or Punisher...or both!

• Hank Pym Ant Man/Giant Man for Ant Man.

• And release either Jubilee or Dazzler as a playable then the other as an enhanced hero.

And if current costumes that are already in game have a chance at this;

• Wiccan for Scarlet Witch.

• Kate Bishop for Hawkeye.

• Hulkbuster for Iron Man.

As you can see there's a lot I'd love to see with this if it's handled properly.

@Sensorie said:

@leaveyouinthedust said:

P2W can more casually refer to locking power behind a paywall, e.g. the "base" character can be unlocked using splinters, but additional powers and build varieties are premium only (through enhanced costumes). It's murky territory that could drastically alter their F2P model depending on how this new technology is utilised.

well if they are total conersions I don't mind it maybe being pay only, like agent venom costume for venom, but the concern I have is if the enhanced costumes are just normal venom with 4 new powers to chose form wich might create a problem if those 4 skills give power that dwarf anything in the rest. So to do future raids or things, you need that costume, or your char is 50% weaker or such.

warwolf= rocket racoon? There is a huge size difference, but both love their guns.