Categories

Maintenance is complete and the Marvel Heroes 2016 servers are now back online! Thank you for your patience.

UI Needs Work

This is something that's constantly on my mind when playing are there plans for a UI overhaul as part of the plans for the year?

There are a lot of shortcomings with the UI and UX elements of the game (I'm including Inventory and chat in this as well) from the incredibly time consuming Inventory management (I spent like 6 hours yesterday sorting through mine), the awkward chat panel, the weird layout of the Waypoint UI.
The UI is one of the biggest millstones for the game as it stands and I love that you're attempting to overhaul everything I'm curious if the UI is in the plans.

Things I'd love to see implemented:
Updated visual design the blue hexagon theme for me doesn't really fit the "Marvel" side of things for me.
I personally I would love to see the visual design moved to be more comic inspired with comic fonts and use of irregular elements in the UI design like overlapping panels to give it that comic book feel.
Give it more a hand drawn feel.
(A mock up I did a while back)

The main UI for Health/Resource/XP could be updated.
I'd like to see the boosts panel removed and have the boosts displayed as part of the main battle element. Probably along the top with secondary resources moved to the right side next to the primary resource element.
The XP element could probably be reduced as well maybe moved to the left side of health.
The boosts panel is particularly annoying at the moment since it doesn't display all boosts at once, doesn't display all boosts and closes on its own overtime.

Updated chat panel.
At the moment the chat is kind of clunky to close it you have to cycle through sizes and pin status.
I'd rather see size,pin and close handled by small buttons so it is more responsive.
There are some text readability issues with certain coloured Prestige names.

The Menu UI the little one in the corner doesn't really need to be there those buttons could removed or moved to the main element (maybe along the bottom).

The Hub section of the waypoint menu should be its own tab.

Legendary Quests tab should also be its own tab.

The bodyslide element could also be merged into the main battle element.

Overall I'm looking for better integration of the separate elements of the UI have everything in one spot where it's easily accessed and observed.

These are my thoughts on the UI other people surely have their own.

Location Chillin' with Sponge BobPosts: 2,175 Fantastic

NECRO

Since we now have the UI guy on the forums Hi @GazFirefly I figure it's time to dust off this topic.

I had a thought for another new feature that would be great to see added.

Item Highlighting.
When you're in the Inventory/STASH and on a hero all items usable by that hero would get a white border highlight.
For bound items for that hero would get a yellow border.
This would make sorting through items a lot easier.

Another one is for boss debuffs/buffs show up on the boss element.

So you'd have Name, Health bar and then under it icons for the various buffs/affixes and Debuffs so we know if they've got bleeds/weakens etc applied.

Location Earth! Welcome!Posts: 2,840 Cosmic

It would be nice if the game would stop picking up items that happen to show up underneath the cursor when we try to interact with vendors/stash/crafters...a bug that has appeared, been fixed, only to reappear again later multiple times since I started playing.

I hope they don't go with that comic book theme and that Exp bar that looks as if it belongs to a 8 bit game. That would lower the value of this game in my eyes. It does need a update for the better to get with the times just not a step backwards.

edited May 17

I was just playing around in Photoshop and thought it'd be interesting to rework things using the Console UI as a starting point.
Just showing possibilities for how it'd work.

I've added in a bar for secondary resources even though I think they should be scrapped as a whole.
If secondary resources were scrapped it'd be a good place for SSB bar.

I think I made the chat panel a bit too big so maybe imagine that a bit smaller and center the main UI element.

As for buffs there's a couple possible spots for them to show up like in the space between the Target element and the Map or in that space in the main element above the Health bar.

Location Shooting guns next to gods and legendsPosts: 7,553 Cosmic

@BabylonPaladin said:

@GazFirefly said:
Thanks for the feedback! Lots of good suggestions in here. I especially like the idea of highlighting usable items in the inventory grid. I'll try to keep this stuff in mind in the future.

Location Rogue NationPosts: 859 Amazing
edited May 17

One of my favorite gif's used on the forums here.

One of Babylons heavily used gifs. Used too be the Darth Vader homerun gif, or the confused gif. You guys must have all these gifs on your pc's for use. I have a few, but i have too go too imgur, heh.

Hero forum pics have changed like the MHO forum.

Yin
Yin
CovertLocation On a date with Lady DeadpoolPosts: 6,639 Cosmic

@GazFirefly said:
Thanks for the feedback! Lots of good suggestions in here. I especially like the idea of highlighting usable items in the inventory grid. I'll try to keep this stuff in mind in the future.

I bring my post to your attention

Location Between the Hammer and the AnvilPosts: 20,305 Cosmic

@JannAshe said:
One of my favorite gif's used on the forums here.

One of Babylons heavily used gifs. Used too be the Darth Vader homerun gif, or the confused gif. You guys must have all these gifs on your pc's for use. I have a few, but i have too go too imgur, heh.

That's where all mine are saved. ;)

Location Rogue NationPosts: 859 Amazing
edited May 17

What is so funny is, soon as an OP posts a thread, replies with gif's are seconds behind, heh. It is what makes the forum fun for me, all the gif's, and pics.

Location Wandering the left hand pathPosts: 4,174 Cosmic

@Radspakr said:

I was just playing around in Photoshop and thought it'd be interesting to rework things using the Console UI as a starting point.

I've added in a bar for secondary resources even though I think they should be scrapped as a whole.

I think I made the chat panel a bit too big so maybe imagine that a bit smaller and center the main UI element.

As for buffs there's a couple possible spots for them to show up like in the space between the Target element and the Map or in that space in the main element above the Health bar.

Honestly, I dont like the console UI one bit for PC. I prefer the look of the one in game, straight line quickbar and health/spirit "globes" in true arpg fashion. The + sign quickbar setup looks horrible and consolish, nothing I would want for a mb/m setup. It can be an optional thing for those who wanna use a gamepad for PC, but please leave it out of a kb/m setup.

It looks like horrible screen clutter on console, but then that is the story of consoles, bloated UIs everywhere.

I just want a cleaner and smoother version of our current quickbar, xp, health, spirit, ult, TU and medkit. Lets not take twelve steps back in order to "improve" the UI. We play on PC for a reason, to not have to deal with large and ugly UIs.

@SneakyErvin said:

@Radspakr said:

Honestly, I dont like the console UI one bit for PC. I prefer the look of the one in game, straight line quickbar and health/spirit "globes" in true arpg fashion. The + sign quickbar setup looks horrible and consolish, nothing I would want for a mb/m setup. It can be an optional thing for those who wanna use a gamepad for PC, but please leave it out of a kb/m setup.

It looks like horrible screen clutter on console, but then that is the story of consoles, bloated UIs everywhere.

I just want a cleaner and smoother version of our current quickbar, xp, health, spirit, ult, TU and medkit. Lets not take twelve steps back in order to "improve" the UI. We play on PC for a reason, to not have to deal with large and ugly UIs.

The PC is the one with the clunky UI with bits all over the place.
With this design all the main parts are in 1 spot and be tracked easily.

But in the end this is just a concept.

@Radspakr said:

@SneakyErvin said:

@Radspakr said:

The PC is the one with the clunky UI with bits all over the place.
With this design all the main parts are in 1 spot and be tracked easily.

But in the end this is just a concept.

I just really hate the plus-shaped quickbars. They fill no need on the PC except as an optional UI for pad users. We just need health/spirit tracking, medkit, ult, TU, 8 button bar and xp bar. Problem with the current UI is that we cant resize elements of it seperately.

In your example I'd remove the playername (I know who I am and I dont need to be reminded), stuff a horizontal 8 button bar below the health bar, add the medkit as a 9th button, place Ult to the left of the bar and TU to the right, do the same with B and Flo (I assume flourish). Finish of by ditching inv and slapping the xp bar where playername used to be (thin xp bar). That should give a slim, slightly pyramid looking hotbar/hp/resource UI with everything that is needed, while removing alot of occupied space from the plus-shaped bars. They take up 3x the space in high compared to a horizontal bar.

Move chat, map and mission log as far out towards the screen edge/corners as possible, add clickable buttons for the different UI commands in a line either in the bottom right or top left corner. Keep the boss/mob indicator just as it is in your example, it sits in such a perfect spot there.

You coould even have room for a proper buff bar above the XP tracker. You can also remove the xp tracker and place it in the bottom right or top left corner, wherever the UI shortcuts dont end up since it isnt a thing we need to see as often.

I would however prefer globes for HP/Mana since it is far easier to track conditional modifiers that way. It's easy to see if you are missing a quarter of your spirit or hp etc. something that is harder on straight bars when you dont have the option to show % numbers on it.

edited May 17

Did a bit more work on the concept.

I've rearranged the skill buttons to curve around the UI.
Ult on the Left, TU on the right.
Medkit and Bodyslide clearly visible.
Added a portrait since I think it looks better than just an icon adds some visual flair.
There's some space over on the right hand side I'm thinking buffs could go there or in the same as we have them just not in a crappy menu thing (pop up icons like the console).
XP bar moved to above the Health/Spirit elements.

I still personally prefer the bar type health bar.
It could maybe switch places with the XP Bar so it's easier to see.
As for percentage marker/health total that could always be a sort of toggle on right click for the bar.

Maybe in the spare space could go buttons to access Notes/Store etc.

Haven't done it here, I had a thought about the Chat panel as well.
Instead of having coloured names for Prestige what if we had name plates in chat.
More possibilities for prestige options down the road, easier to read some names since with how chat is purple names are harder to read.

@Radspakr said:

Added a portrait since I think it looks better than just an icon adds some visual flair.
There's some space over on the right hand side I'm thinking buffs could go there or in the same as we have them just not in a crappy menu thing (pop up icons like the console).

As for percentage marker/health total that could always be a sort of toggle on right click for the bar.

Instead of having coloured names for Prestige what if we had name plates in chat.
More possibilities for prestige options down the road, easier to read some names since with how chat is purple names are harder to read.

That looks pretty cool. I agree XP and HP could switch places. If they can add some form of % tracking to the resources and HP I'm all ok with flat HP bars etc. Buffs could easily show up on the right side of the UI or above the skills.

I also hope they'll give us proper scaling options of UI elements when/if they do a rework of it.

@Radspakr said:

I still prefer the bar how it is .. don't like to seek for long on the screen to find out
what skill is on what key on my hotbar because they are all over the place.

Only things i would like to see are better visual timers for Med-Kit and Ultimate.