Categories

Console reverse port coming?

CovertPosts: 3,058 Uncanny

@GazFirefly said:

@Tzeentch said:
Ignoring the various issues surrounding everything lately... the console version looks pretty good overall.

While it's not all apples:apples, i hope they bring a lot of that console stuff over to the PC version. I'm hoping beyond hope that they are pulling a Michigan J Frog on us and all of sudden things are going to come alive and be awesome for the PC again soon...

What do you all think?

Hi! I'm one of the Senior UI Engineers here at Gaz. I've been here a little over a year now. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been working on a lot of the console UI for a while and am super excited to finally be able to show it to you guys. Glad to see that you guys like it! It's still far from complete, but we're hoping to make it better and better.

You are right that it isn't apples to apples when it comes to console vs PC. In my own personal opinion, I'm not entirely sure we'd ever want to do a full port of everything in our console UI over to PC. Certainly there are a lot of cool things we have in the console UI that would be nice to have on the PC (like highlighting affected powers on a talent). But the PC has its own advantages, like being able to look at your inventory while simultaneously running around and kicking Oh.. My stars and garters!.

That being said, when we first began work on the console UI, one of my early observations was "this looks super cool... you know the PC crowd is gonna want this." I don't know what the roadmap looks like in the months ahead but you can be sure that the PC crowd has not been forgotten on the UI team. We definitely want to bring not only the useful features, but the aesthetic of the console UI to the PC version at some point. I just don't know if it would be a full port or not. Lots to think about here on our end.

Sounds good. But for the record, I don't think anyone who plays fights enemies while their inventory is up, since you can't see anything

Posts: 1,450 Fantastic
edited April 20

@MasterlordTitan said:
I'm new to the forums but not the game. I will continue to play and enjoy the game.

Really ?
Perfect. It's not a problem for us. You can enjoy the game as long as we can give your opinion on the forum.
You don't see any problem at this, right ?

@SuperWG said:
Sounds good. But for the record, I don't think anyone who plays fights enemies while their inventory is up, since you can't see anything

Sometimes i do it.

AgentPosts: 368 Amazing

am i the only one who those ui elements looks ugly for game in 2017? i hope we don't get that on pc

WallcrawlerPosts: 4,822 Cosmic

@GazFirefly said:

@Tzeentch said:
Ignoring the various issues surrounding everything lately... the console version looks pretty good overall.

While it's not all apples:apples, i hope they bring a lot of that console stuff over to the PC version. I'm hoping beyond hope that they are pulling a Michigan J Frog on us and all of sudden things are going to come alive and be awesome for the PC again soon...

What do you all think?

Hi! I'm one of the Senior UI Engineers here at Gaz. I've been here a little over a year now. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been working on a lot of the console UI for a while and am super excited to finally be able to show it to you guys. Glad to see that you guys like it! It's still far from complete, but we're hoping to make it better and better.

You are right that it isn't apples to apples when it comes to console vs PC. In my own personal opinion, I'm not entirely sure we'd ever want to do a full port of everything in our console UI over to PC. Certainly there are a lot of cool things we have in the console UI that would be nice to have on the PC (like highlighting affected powers on a talent). But the PC has its own advantages, like being able to look at your inventory while simultaneously running around and kicking Oh.. My stars and garters!.

That being said, when we first began work on the console UI, one of my early observations was "this looks super cool... you know the PC crowd is gonna want this." I don't know what the roadmap looks like in the months ahead but you can be sure that the PC crowd has not been forgotten on the UI team. We definitely want to bring not only the useful features, but the aesthetic of the console UI to the PC version at some point. I just don't know if it would be a full port or not. Lots to think about here on our end.

Thanks for taking the time to explain some of this. It does mean a lot, especially now with everything that's happening. Good to see a new face too.

The console stuff looks amazing, but personally I wouldn't want the entire UI transferred over. As you said I don't want a single menu taking up the entire screen. Unless it's a costume closet..but not something like the inventory.

The things I would definitely love to see are the costume closet, the buff bar, the talent 'highlight tech', the targeting lock UI and an option for the ring under your character (we've been looking for something to make you stand out in a crowd of effects and players/enemies for a long time now). Probably some of the other stuff too, but would like some hands on with it before I say for sure.


Also, is your name a reference to The Last of Us? Or perhaps the Whedon TV show?

Don't be a stranger! (or alternatively, run!)

Posts: 2,582 Fantastic

@GazFirefly said:

@vthree said:

Thanks for the info. Just wondering on the development side, what are the core differences and does that affect how difficult it is to implement certain things on PC vs console?

I assume some differences are

  • for console, you only need to cater for one 'spec' or resolution whereas PC needs to handle multiple resolutions

  • PS/Xbox will have certain UI specifics/API you need to adhere to

  • different control schemes so that will affect UI design

While both PC and console UI go through our Scaleform engine, they were built very differently. It's honestly harder for me to talk about the design decisions that went into the PC version, because I wasn't here when they were made. I do know that the PC's UI does some things in a very funky way. Even something as basic as input handling on the PC is done in a way that I would not expect. When we started working on the console UI we had an opportunity to get a fresh start and get the UI to behave in a way we expected it to.

Because of this, we definitely had a lot of discussion about doing a "reverse port" back to PC, as you guys put it. After all, if we finally got the UI working the way we thought it should have all this time, then why not bring that awesomeness to the PC as well? There are some complications there that we run into. For example (and this is just one of many examples I could give), the console UI doesn't need to support a mouse, but it would really suck if we ported the console UI back over and all of a sudden you could only navigate the UI and all the menus with hotkeys and arrow keys which simulate controller input. We'd want to add mouse support, but then that means all of the buttons on the UI need to actually work like "buttons" and respond to clicks and hovers and all that. Right now they don't (they're just static images), because we didn't need that functionality. So it'd be quite a bit of work to get the console UI to work on the PC, and that's not even getting into discussions about whether or not the designs even feel right for PC players (see my earlier post about how you'd lose certain advantages on PC like having multiple panels up at once).

Again, I'm not saying it won't be done. I'm not sure we have even decided what we want to do yet. We just have a lot to think about.

I'd sacrifice some of the things we enjoy for a better functioning and cleaner UI stuff opening multiple panels at once, but of course I can only speak for myself.

The one issue I could see with reverse porting is the inventory and using that quickly between battles.
So far I haven't seen much of how that works in console.

FOLLOW THROUGH GAZILLION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FOLLOW THROUGH

AcePosts: 171 Incredible

It makes me really sad to see just how much better the game looks on PS4. The roster and costume select screens are beautiful. And never coming to PC.

Also, as nice as it is to see a dev post on the subject, that was basically a really nice way of saying, "Yea, we know the PC's UI is all sorts of messed up, but I was hired to make the console version pretty, and I have no idea if you'll ever see this version of the UI" It's not really a positive statement by any means.

Posts: 70 Mighty

Nice Couch Co-op. =)

I think it could be a boost for the pc Version, in the future, if the console Version would be a big success. So we PC Player have our Marvel Heroes on the PC with more Content and Heroes, and me as example, have the console Version where i can Play with my girlfriend some chilling clobbering on the tv Screen per local co-op... i think that could be nice :)

Location FrenchvillePosts: 1,616 Cosmic

@GazFirefly said:

@vthree said:

Thanks for the info. Just wondering on the development side, what are the core differences and does that affect how difficult it is to implement certain things on PC vs console?

I assume some differences are

  • for console, you only need to cater for one 'spec' or resolution whereas PC needs to handle multiple resolutions

  • PS/Xbox will have certain UI specifics/API you need to adhere to

  • different control schemes so that will affect UI design

While both PC and console UI go through our Scaleform engine, they were built very differently. It's honestly harder for me to talk about the design decisions that went into the PC version, because I wasn't here when they were made. I do know that the PC's UI does some things in a very funky way. Even something as basic as input handling on the PC is done in a way that I would not expect. When we started working on the console UI we had an opportunity to get a fresh start and get the UI to behave in a way we expected it to.

Because of this, we definitely had a lot of discussion about doing a "reverse port" back to PC, as you guys put it. After all, if we finally got the UI working the way we thought it should have all this time, then why not bring that awesomeness to the PC as well? There are some complications there that we run into. For example (and this is just one of many examples I could give), the console UI doesn't need to support a mouse, but it would really suck if we ported the console UI back over and all of a sudden you could only navigate the UI and all the menus with hotkeys and arrow keys which simulate controller input. We'd want to add mouse support, but then that means all of the buttons on the UI need to actually work like "buttons" and respond to clicks and hovers and all that. Right now they don't (they're just static images), because we didn't need that functionality. So it'd be quite a bit of work to get the console UI to work on the PC, and that's not even getting into discussions about whether or not the designs even feel right for PC players (see my earlier post about how you'd lose certain advantages on PC like having multiple panels up at once).

Again, I'm not saying it won't be done. I'm not sure we have even decided what we want to do yet. We just have a lot to think about.

FINALLY.

THIS is the kind of thing I wanted to read for months.

We're, mainly, grown adults, and we can understand that Gaz goes through a tough time, face difficulties, need to do stuff that put aside the PC version for a loooong time. But we still need communication, otherwise we go all grumpy and jailed.

This was infomative and interesting. First time I read you @GazFirefly, but I'm happy I did, mate!

Posts: 105 Incredible

I hope they finally sort some of the problems on pc, the horrendous lag whilst playing in busy areas, also love to be able to finally play in 4k and not have the UI so small I need a magnifying glass to see it

WallcrawlerPosts: 4,822 Cosmic

@GazFirefly said:

@Drazhar said:

Also, is your name a reference to The Last of Us? Or perhaps the Whedon TV show?

Don't be a stranger! (or alternatively, run!)

Actually, "Firefly" is an alias I've used since online since middle school, based off of a character I created in (ironically) the Marvel Super Heroes pen-and-paper RPG! XD

The Last of Us is a great game, though! Probably Top 5 all time for me :smile:

Haha, nice!

So Whedon and Naughty Dog clearly stole the name from you then.

I love The Last of Us too. Top 5 for me as well. Up there with Diablo 2, Shadow of the Colossus and some others for me.

Location Behind you...Posts: 6,942 Cosmic

@MasterlordTitan said:

@HuntGod said:

@MasterlordTitan said:

@Jestuh said:

@MasterlordTitan said:
Why are you people so worried about the console? When it has nothing to do with the PC. I started on PC, but i have no problem playing on both versions. Because guess what, companies do this. They go out and try to get more customers. How you gonna be mad at a company trying to grow? To put more money into the game. I swear this new generation just likes to complain about everything.

It's your first few posts, so I'll skip the sarcastic "Are you new here?" question.

PC players supported this game for years then saw the game changed in many unpopular ways solely to accommodate a console port. Our advice and concerns were voiced repeatedly on the forums for 6+ months and many of us feel generally ignored.

Now there are several concerns. Namely, with virtually no new content coming to the PC game in almost a, year because everyone was working on the console version, what's going to happen to the PC game? It clearly hasn't been a priority for a long time. It's unlikely to be a priority any time soon. So most of us wonder just what is going on?

In the past, the Devs were amazing with communicating with us. But that also ended about a year ago. So the other big question is, where have all the Devs gone that used to tell us what's going on and why? Firefly coming in here is badass because it let's us actually understand what's going on. That understanding yields respect and patience, whereas being ignored or told good things are coming soon does the opposite (especially when those things aren't good and don't come soon at all).

So most veterans of the PC game feel ignored, used, and suckered at this point for investing time, energy, and money in the game, the company, and the staff. And we generally just want to know what the hell is going on.

It's not about growing the game, it's about growing the game at the expense of the existing and highly invested customer base.

It's not a generational thing either so cut the crap.

Well i've played it since it came to. Guess i should feel special and entitled like you. But im not, im gonna play on both versions and let the devs do their job. All this complaining what is it getting you. Their not releasing any info regardless. So keep wasting your time typing.

Came to what? Your account is 1 day old...

Well if you know how to read. I clearly stated i‘m new to forums, not the game. I've played the game since day 1.

And clearly a big fan of Dale Carnegie...sheesh.

Posts: 727 Amazing
edited April 20

@GazFirefly said:
For example (and this is just one of many examples I could give), the console UI doesn't need to support a mouse, but it would really suck if we ported the console UI back over and all of a sudden you could only navigate the UI and all the menus with hotkeys and arrow keys which simulate controller input.

Turn Your Mouse Into A Joystick For PC Gaming http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-your-mouse-into-a-joystick-for-pc-gaming/ #MakeUseOf

Posts: 1,879 Fantastic

Ahh, more drama queen stuff before we've even gotten the promised announcement of the plans for the PC version. The forum is so good these days.

GazillionPosts: 271 Staff

@GazFirefly said:

@Drazhar said:

Also, is your name a reference to The Last of Us? Or perhaps the Whedon TV show?

Don't be a stranger! (or alternatively, run!)

Actually, "Firefly" is an alias I've used since online since middle school, based off of a character I created in (ironically) the Marvel Super Heroes pen-and-paper RPG! XD

The Last of Us is a great game, though! Probably Top 5 all time for me :smile:

What a thrill.
With darkness and silence while I write.
What a thrill.
Searching forum posts when I run into you.
Your game choice is so supreme.

I give my time, not for honor, but to reply to you.
In my time, there'll be no other game.
Rhyme. I ran out of ways to write this for you, Snaaaaaaaake Eater.

Seriously, I ran out of ways to make this work before I got to the line about eating a tree frog.

Metal Gear Solid 3. Greatest of all time, but man did I ever love The Last of Us. If it weren't for my absolute undying loyalty for Big Boss I'd be right there with you on TLOU.

Winterthur is coming

Location Looking for reasons to stick aroundPosts: 2,237 Cosmic

@MasterlordTitan said:

I'm not complaining

You're complaining about people complaining SMH

@MasterlordTitan said:

Well if you know how to read. I clearly stated i‘m new to forums, not the game. I've played the game since day 1.

Disclaimer: It is not my intention for my honesty to insult or offend you.

Stop Patching on Fridays !!!

  • sniffs air * Do you smell that? Discontent mixed with dissension and contempt. I wonder what caused it?
Sign In or Register to comment.