Categories

Maintenance is complete and the Marvel Heroes 2016 servers are now back online! Thank you for your patience.

[BUG] Certain Powers behaving differently when using a Controller

edited March 28

Like opening statements Rending Leap is another example of a skill where different behavior is experienced between using a keyboard and mouse and a controller. When using the former the character will leap to the cursor but when using the latter they will always leap a set distance ignoring the target lock. Ideally this skill should leap to the target with a controller in a similar fashion to Emma's Show Off. Below is an example of using the skill with both input methods.

Edit: modified title to be more general

bump. This issue is pretty big for us controller users.

as of todays patch my controller does not function like it did yesterday, none of the mappings do what they say. even if i rest and bind it all from scratch. even the interact button doesnt work, the only thing that works reliably right now for me is moving with the thumbstick.

Im not having any troubles with my bindings after the patch, thankfully.

As @Madrox says this really is a big issue for those who play using a controller. It either forces us to use suboptimal builds for a character in order to avoid the broken skills or not play them at all. Even more frustrating is the fact that there isn't even consistency across the characters. All of the newer ones and even some of the old ones are fine but others like -23, She-Hulk, etc. are not.

@zWolfiez who is the correct person to report this two? i, and other have posted about this in this forum, test center forums (going back to november), character feedback threads as well as the controller forum but have yet to see any acknowledgement of the issue much less inclination they will be fixed.

GazillionLocation Behind the CurtainPosts: 165 Staff

Tagging me is fine. If I can't fix it, I'll drop if off with someone who can. I'm not exactly sure what it is you are expecting (I'm not familiar with those references off hand) and I don't want to change it in a way that doesn't actually solve the issue.

Are you saying that when you have a locked target, those powers, IE Rending Leap, should jump to that enemy, but go the full distance any other time? Is that how Emma's Show Off works?

Once I know how you think the power should behave, I can see about changing it.

edited March 17

Hey Wolfie,

Please test this with a controller, it's the only way to reproduce it.

Just equip these skills (Rending Leap, Opening Statements) and try to use them against any target. It doesn't matter if you have a Target Lock or not (a controller feature), both these skills (and some others that I can't recall right now) completely ignore the target and do their own thing.
Regardless of Target Lock, these skills should "jump to target" anyways.

The issue here is that this behavior is inconsistent with all other "jump to target" skills (such as Falling Star, Meteor Strike, etc.) and makes these skills unusable to us controller users.

Was thinking about this the other day myself. With a controller these moves are pretty awkward.

Thanks for looking into it.

@zWolfiez said:
Are you saying that when you have a locked target, those powers, IE Rending Leap, should jump to that enemy, but go the full distance any other time? Is that how Emma's Show Off works?

Sorry. Some poor wording on my part. As @Madrox explained it should behave the same way with or without the target lock set, and that is always leap to target. If i acquire, what i guess could be called a soft lock, by punching a mob then when using the skill i would expect it to leap to that target. With the lock set via RB the expected behavior would be to leap to the mob with the lock set to them.

This is exactly how Show Off, and many other skills behave, whereas Rending leap, Opening Statements, and a few others always leap a set distance.

I agree the best way to understand the differences, if you have time or someone has time, is to use Show Off and Rending leap with a controller for just a couple of minutes. While it is hard to explain in words it very obvious in use.

I do have concerns for those players who try to use that power as an extra dash to get out of Rhino's way (for example). By changing the way those powers function in the way you suggest, those player would land right in front of the horn instead of behind him.

While i won't argue that may be true and people can use it as an escape mechanism, I would contend that the benefit of changing it greatly outweigh the negatives. One it brings consistency across characters as the majority of the leap/crashdown and even movement skills are move to target based with controllers and its just a couple of remaining skills that are move to spot that are the outliers. Two, Knowing im going to hit 99% of the time is better than the 1% of the time i would use it and leap into trouble. Right now with Opening Statements and Rending leap I don't even slot them on the bar because of how they act.

I think the best action will be to make changes to a few heroes to act as you describe once the next round of pre-patch TC builds go up and see if my concerns are founded based on feedback. If it's positive, then I can make that change to all heroes with similar powers. If not, it's back to the drawing board.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it.

If people are using other moves as extra dashes isn't that sort of defeating the point of limiting dashes?

Location your favorite nightclubPosts: 2,016 Fantastic

@zWolfiez said:
Tagging me is fine. If I can't fix it, I'll drop if off with someone who can. I'm not exactly sure what it is you are expecting (I'm not familiar with those references off hand) and I don't want to change it in a way that doesn't actually solve the issue.

Once I know how you think the power should behave, I can see about changing it.

PLEASE fix Opening Statement for She-Hulk...this is a HUGE problem with us controller users because it doesnt go to target...it is a fixed distance that takes her out of melee range and doesnt hit the targeted enemy

edited March 18

@zWolfiez said:
I do have concerns for those players who try to use that power as an extra dash to get out of Rhino's way (for example). By changing the way those powers function in the way you suggest, those player would land right in front of the horn instead of behind him.

Uh, but isn't that counter-intuitive, and way far off the intended design? Heroes should have ONE dash power, why have two in the hotbar? It will really decrease the DPS. The whole point and design of these powers is getting into melee range while providing extra help (generally it's vulnerability, and they're also tagged Movement so they benefit from the Infinity synergy), not escaping one kill charges.

Absolutely no one I know uses something like Falling Star or Meteor Strike to avoid enemy powers!

@zWolfiez said:

I think the best action will be to make changes to a few heroes to act as you describe once the next round of pre-patch TC builds go up and see if my concerns are founded based on feedback. If it's positive, then I can make that change to all heroes with similar powers. If not, it's back to the drawing board.

just make it same as wolverine leap. right now is always on target, and it work better than with the set distance, also the follow trough wolverine power range is way too short, maybe you could look at it xD, is not even half the leap range

Location Under your bed.Posts: 241 Amazing

You can add Rogues Ruble Slam to the list. I seem to remember there being another power or two like this, Magik it might be, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

The way Caps powers work do not require target lock to move to target, you just have to be facing them. The controls are fluid like this and is the way all powers but dashes should work.

Doesn't look like the changes made this round of TC but hopefully will be on later in the week or next.

@zWolfiez - I posted in the test center forums but it looks like Bloody Harvest was modified instead of Rending leap. Also Bloody Harvest's damage is completely bugged on Test right now.

Titus, can you change the thread title to be more general (not just for that X-23 power) ? I'll add it do favs too.

@Madrox said:
Titus, can you change the thread title to be more general (not just for that X-23 power) ? I'll add it do favs too.

Done.

@zWolfiez said:

haven't had an opportunity to log in to check on Test center, and didn't anything in the patch notes, when i looked the other day. @zWolfiez have you had a chance to make these adjustments?

GazillionLocation Behind the CurtainPosts: 165 Staff

I've made changes to some of these powers, namely the ones posted here. I'm sure there are others who could use the same treatment, but I haven't been able to go through and test every power.

If there any others that you feel should work like this, feel free to post there here. Keep in mind that not every power like this is designed to move to your target.

I'll check back on this in a few days to give people time to respond.

There's one Black Cat power that behaves like this, I it's either Claws Out or Land on your Feet.

I've read that one or two of Magik's powers have targeting issues due to how teleportation works, I think it might be Seven League Step or Soul Sever.

Nightcrawler's Righteous Frenzy had that issue too, I can't recall if it was fixed with the BUE.

I'm sure it's working fine now, but I'll mention Wolverine's Crimson Leap just in case.

@Titus01, can you please crosscheck and see if there's something else?

PS: I can't actually check it because I don't have the game installed, sorry.