Categories

How to add more hotkeys

edited March 2016

If the 8 hotkeys (LMB, ASDFGH, RMB) aren't enough for all of your powers, you can add keybindings by manually editing the .ini where the keybindings are stored. I have included two methods here, one for direct keybindings and another for a 'modifier' key.

Update: I have created a tool for adding keybindings here which is a lot simpler to use and includes some extra options. If you wish to use it, you don't need to follow any steps from here. If you prefer to manually edit the .ini file continue reading.

Method 1 makes direct keybindings to the powers you've assigned to the right mouse F2-F6 hotkey swaps. (You will assign your default right click power to F1). This preserves target lock.
Method 2 creates a 'modifier' key to hold and access powers on hotkey bar 2 (this breaks target lock but is a good way to access toggles and any powers that can't be placed on F1-F6, such as Ziggurat).

A working sample MarvelInputUserSettings.ini with these bindings (Q,E,R, and LeftAlt) applied can be downloaded here.

Follow these steps:

1. If you have no existing rebinded keys, then in the game, go into Options, Keybindings, and rebind one of the keys to the exact same key you already use! I know it seems to do nothing, but this generates the keybindings file.
  2. On PC go to "My Documents\My Games\Marvel Heroes Game\MarvelGame\Config" On Mac go to "~/Library/Application Support/Marvel Heroes/MarvelGame/Config"
  3. Open "MarvelInputUserSettings.ini"
  4. Add the lines from either method (or both) to the end of the file:
    • Method 1 (direct keybindings w/target lock):

-Bindings=(Name="Q",Command="HotkeyPressed 1 | PowerButtonPressed 1 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 1 | OnRelease HotkeyPressed 0") -Bindings=(Name="E",Command="HotkeyPressed 2 | PowerButtonPressed 1 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 1 | OnRelease HotkeyPressed 0") -Bindings=(Name="R",Command="HotkeyPressed 3 | PowerButtonPressed 1 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 1 | OnRelease HotkeyPressed 0") .Bindings=(Name="Q",Command="HotkeyPressed 1 | PowerButtonPressed 1 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 1 | OnRelease HotkeyPressed 0") .Bindings=(Name="E",Command="HotkeyPressed 2 | PowerButtonPressed 1 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 1 | OnRelease HotkeyPressed 0") .Bindings=(Name="R",Command="HotkeyPressed 3 | PowerButtonPressed 1 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 1 | OnRelease HotkeyPressed 0")

• Method 2 (hold alt to toggle):

-Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0") .Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0")

• 5. In-Game:
    • For Method 1: Right click the Right Mouse Button slot and assign the ability you want your right mouse button to be to F1, then assign abilities for your new keybindings by pressing F2, F3, F4 for the 'Q', 'E', and 'R' keybindings respectively.)
    • For Method 2: Just switch hotkey pages and drag powers onto the second bar.

That's all there is to it.

WASD Movement

Since controller support has been added, keyboard movement can now be achieved by adding these keybindings:

-Bindings=(Name="W",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.2") -Bindings=(Name="A",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0 DeadZone=0.2") -Bindings=(Name="S",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0 DeadZone=0.2") -Bindings=(Name="D",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.2") .Bindings=(Name="W",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.2") .Bindings=(Name="A",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0 DeadZone=0.2") .Bindings=(Name="S",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0 DeadZone=0.2") .Bindings=(Name="D",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.2")

You can change WASD to ESDF or Up Left Down Right (for arrow keys) or whatever you prefer.

Additional notes/troubleshooting:

If you are having trouble getting this working I would highly suggest using the hotkey editor I've made over here.

Other keys are possible, try "LeftShift", "LeftControl", "one", "two","three". See http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/KeyBinds.html for a full list.

Lines should always be made in duplicate, the first line starting with a '-' and an identical line starting with a '.'

It is possible your game is using a different folder to store the .ini files than the folder I suggested. You should check these folders for the correct .ini files (time stamps can be useful for identifying the correct folder):

\Documents\My Games\Marvel Heroes\MarvelGame\Config

\Documents\My Games\Marvel Heroes Game\MarvelGame\Config

Razer Naga users should check the bindings @Xenosaj set up here.

Older method direct keybinds directly to slots on bar 2/3 (Use for Ziggurat):

The guide originally had a method for direct keybindings that would switch the bar, push the button, and switch the bar back. This can still be handy for using a Ziggurat since it needs to be on the bar, or if you just need more keys. So for posterity here is that method:

-Bindings=(Name="Q",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 2 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 2 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0") -Bindings=(Name="E",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 3 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 3 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0") -Bindings=(Name="R",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 4 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 4 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0") .Bindings=(Name="Q",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 2 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 2 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0") .Bindings=(Name="E",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 3 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 3 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0") .Bindings=(Name="R",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 4 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 4 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0")

• Name="Q" - is the key to be bound. Change "Q" to what you want (for numbers, use "one", "two", etc. See 'Mappable Keys' here: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/KeyBinds.html)
  • SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 - 1 is the number of the hotkey page, ranging from 0-2 (0 is default, 1 is page 2, 2 is page 3..)
  • PowerButtonPressed 2 - This can be 0-7, 0 is the slot that would be the left mouse button slot, 1 is the right mouse button slot, and 2-7 are the 6 'normal' slots in between. (thx @Xenosaj )
  • OnRelease PowerButtonRelease 2 - Just make sure this matches the button pressed above.
  • OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0 - This returns you to the default hotkey bar when you let go of the key. Keep it set to 0.

The layout for the PowerButtonPressed looks like this:

So for each hotkey you want just paste that line again and change "Q" to whatever key you want (it will override any assignment that appears before it), and change PowerButtonPressed and PowerButtonRelease to the next number up.

If you have any issues, post here or PM me.

You might find @sifuedition's guide helpful as well: http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/2506221#Comment_2506221

I know that many game developers are against changing the .ini files.
Does anybody know if it is allowed/approved/accepted?

True BelieverLocation Mutant CityPosts: 396 Amazing

ThanX for this awesome info!

Location Here and NowPosts: 3,089 Cosmic
True BelieverLocation Chrlotte, NCPosts: 61 Mighty

Hey @zeCrazyEye , how do you do it for a Razer Naga mouse? Please? If you can.

photo Ironman_zps08582670.gif

Location Hall of DoopPosts: 3,634 Cosmic
edited February 2014

@zeCrazyEye said:
Alternative method (I like this method better):

If you want to use the 'Alt' key to access the extra hotkey bar along with your regular keybindings (such as using Alt-A through Alt-H) you can simply add this line alone:

Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0")

Very nice! Since they said they were working on this, I assumed there was no support for it, so I used Razer software to make a kludge for my Orbweaver, but your solution is much more elegant!

What I did, for reference if anyone wants to try it or doesn't want to monkey with ini files for some reason: the device must support multiple key configurations. I set a key to change to a different Razer configuration while that key was held. On that new configuration, I created a macro for each key that physically changes the power bar in use in game, presses the same button you normally use for that key, then switches the power bar back to the first. All of these with minimal delay (.05 sec I think). It works really well, doesn't get stuck on the wrong power bar or anything, but like I said, your solution is much more elegant. Note that this doesn't work for abilities you want to hold down the button down to channel, so put those on the main bar.

In most MMOs, I use alt and ctrl for accessing second and third bars (and have for more than 10 years), so I may have to try this.

The Ice Controller: Iceman hybrid summon/area build
What do Colossus and Baron Zeppeli have in common?
Both are half the man they used to be.

hi @zeCrazyEye
thanks so much for this detailed guide, it works well :)

i binded to 2, 3 and 4. so example for 2, it should be Name="two"

CovertLocation CanadaPosts: 556 Amazing

I will try this out tomorrow. Great find by the way, I was wodering about this for quite some time.

Location Where Uniques DropPosts: 121 Incredible

Thanks @zeCrazyEye this is definitely worth trying out.

edited February 2014

@matacka said:

I will try this out tomorrow. Great find by the way, I was wodering about this for quite some time.

Yea, I tried something similar a long time ago by making a key that would basically press F2 to switch powers, use the power, and press F1 to switch back, but it was very finicky and would interrupt attack animations once the skill was no longer 'available' or get stuck repeating the attack. The extra hotkey bars work really well though.

Location @turty11Posts: 829 Amazing

tried it, but instead of using powers method one just switches my hotbars and then does nothing

MutatedLocation WalesPosts: 238 Amazing

This is a Godsend! Thank you. I'm currently using method 2 and it works excellently.

edited February 2014

@pwturty said:
tried it, but instead of using powers method one just switches my hotbars and then does nothing

It doesn't switch back to the default hotbar even?

A single line should be:

Bindings=(Name="Q",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | PowerButtonPressed 2 | OnRelease PowerButtonReleased 2 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0")

The browser may make this look like 2 lines but it should all be on one line.

Location @turty11Posts: 829 Amazing
edited February 2014

found the problem, i had "illegal" keybindings/misspelled bindings lol. thanks verymuch for this!

@pwturty said:
found the problem, i had "illegal" keybindings/misspelled bindings lol. thanks verymuch for this!

Cool, glad it worked.

edited February 2014

It is working for me and is so cool, many thanks, fellow hero!

Got one problem though, binding charge powers (in my case Stellar Flare for Ms. Marvel) doesn't fully work, specifically if you hold binded button until full charge, power fires correctly, but if you want to use it quickly and release button before full charging then power doesn't fire and your hero gets stuck in charging animation and do not respond to any other commands. Need confirmation though as I didn't test it on any other heroes.

Otherwise I'm really grateful, great work!

"Alone you are mighty. Together you are legends!"

• Professor Charles Xavier.
edited February 2014

@Alsfyn said:
It is working for me and is so cool, many thanks, fellow hero!

Got one problem though, binding charge powers (in my case Stellar Flare for Ms. Marvel) doesn't fully work, specifically if you hold binded button until full charge, power fires correctly, but if you want to use it quickly and release button before full charging then power doesn't fire and your hero gets stuck in charging animation and do not respond to any other commands. Need confirmation though as I didn't test it on any other heroes.

Otherwise I'm really grateful, great work!

Yea, I had noticed that in my own testing but didn't add a warning to my post. With both methods you should keep charge attacks on your default bar, method 1 is slow to recycle charge powers and method 2 can get you stuck in charge animation if you release 'alt' before you release the power key (if you do get stuck in animation, just hit Roster and switch to the same hero you're already on).