Categories

Flunkie's guide how to hybrid Gambit! Patch 1.14!

Location DenmarkPosts: 101 Incredible
edited February 2014

Hi. I am Flunkie and I play Gambit, he is my favorite Marvel character so it was obvious for me to pick him up. When I started playing him I was very fast to pick up a hybrid build because that is how I remember him from the 90’s cartoon X-Men (the way he fought in the series). That does not mean that it is the right way he fights, if you look at the comics but that’s the way I remember him.

I want to thank Drakkon, which guide marvelbase.com/builds/view/3762-Gambit_Hybrid_Bruiser I was using
. After playing Gambit 200+ hours I had the crazy idea that I could come up with my own guide, so this is my take on a Gambit Hybrid guide. You might see a few stuff that are similar to his guide, while some is my own take on Gambit.
Remember this is not how you should play Gambit but how you can play your Gambit. How you play Gambit is up to you.

• I have to excuse my english, it is not my main language and that’s the reason there may be a few typos here and there – feel free to grammar nazi me.

Contents

Powers

Artifacts

Medallions

Gear

Relics

Legendary

Blessings

X-Gene

Loadout

Affix

Synergies

Uru

Conclusion

Update log

Powers

Max Skills

Bo Beatdown -20

Ace of Spades - 20

52 Card Pickup - 20

Sleight of Hand - 20

Ragin’ Cajun - 20

Black Suits - 20

Savate Expert – 10 points

Cheat Death you’ll get from gear. We’ll come to that later.

Artifacts

Xerogen Crystal

Gives a lot of stats that’s exceptional to hybrid gambit.

Advanced Kung Fu Training Sequence

This is a new artifact added to the game, I've changed this over Language! due to this also gives damage and dodge, while granting defense when I hit with a melee power(BB) while also granting health. I prefer this over Language! and PSS.

Fearsome Fist of Fallarah(will be changed to Hand of Doom once I get hold of that)

I use this as a stand in for Hand of doom. It can be considered since it gives dodge and brutal strike rating + the passive that gives you a lot of crit when you dodge.

Advanced Metasensory Array

Attack speed, damage rating and +1 to all powers everything is good on Gambit.

Other considered

Pym Shrinking Serum - this is also a good artifact but I prefer artifacts that also gives some offensive stats rather than pure defensive.

Pym Growth Serum – gives health and damage rating

Power Prism Shard – area damage, if you want to focus more on 52 Card Pickup.

Nutso the Squirrel – gives dodge, movement speed and lots of attackspeed.

Advanced Super-Soldier Serum is certainly not bad for Gambit, bu

Medallions

I use Bulls Eye cosmic medallion. Gives critical rating and critical damage rating and +2 to all powers.

Other considered

Dooms Medallion

Gear

(Gear slot 1)Death’s Black Staff is an absolutely must for this build. Gives + 4 to Bo combat powers+ 4 to Black Suits and have a chance to nullify down a target if it’s not a boss or player.

(Gear Slot 2)X-Ternals Mantle is not a must but I like it because it’s the one item that gives me Cheat death, while also granting a lot of defensive stats.

(Gear Slot 3)Gloves I have yet to find one I can use so I use Le Diablo Blanc’s Blindfold. It’s not bad but does not give anything special around hybrid Gambit.

(Gear Slot 4)Sandals of Hercules is awesome. It gives you 5% less damage taken. It gives damage rating and +2 to all powers

(Gear Slot 5)Jennings Volition Repeating Rifle. Gives a lot of sweet stats while also giving +7 to Ragin’ Cajun. Must for this build.

Insignia I have yet to find any good. But anything that gives critical rating rating, critical damage and/or damage rating is considered good.

Ring I have yet to find one but one with crit, crit damage, dodge, damage rating, health, brutal rating and/or brutal damage rating is considered good.

Relics

I use Relic of Lemuria. It helps to stay in the fight, since Gambit is so squishy I find this a absolutely must to have.

Other considered

Relic of Kakaranathara

Relic of Asgard

Relic of Attilan

Legendary

I highly recommend Gungnir. The amount of critital rating and critical damage rating you get is insane and the last rank is also insane! Which works really great with this build.

Other considered

CCR(Cosmic Control Rod) but since i rely more on basic Bo Beatdown than my kinetic powers I consider Gungnir better.

Golden Bow of Apollo - Not bad at all but I have enough attack speed and again I rely more on Bo Beatdawn than ranged abilities.

Blessing

Blessing Fandral x2

Blessing of Hogun x2

Other considered

Blessing of Hela

Thanks to @Graeves for the insight. I've putted this back on considered because I feel that the small amount of brutal strike is not worth it, while crit is so much more powerfull than brutal strike rating.

X-Gene

You want a core with +1 fighting and +1 energy and any other stat you can get. I got 20% special item find.

Loadout

Left mouse button: Bo Beatdown

A: 52 Card Pickup

S: Cheat Death

D: Royal Flush(I rarely use this)

F:(Or Q which I bound it too)** Good Times Roll

G:(Or F1 – which i bound to my mouse button 1)** Ragin’ Cajun

H: Black Suits

Right mouse button: Ace of Spades

Remeber this is just an idea how you can setup your loadout. It's optional and up to you how you want to do it.

Affix

I don’t have the right affixes on my costume right now.

But I am going to get:

Grade 1: Critical rating

Grade 2: Critical rating

Grade 3: Critical rating

Grade 4: Damage rating.

The thoughts behind this is I need raw damage aswell as crit and I think the max damage you get from grade 4 is good and I have 'enough' crit with my gungnir.

Synergies

Black Panther

Thor

Jean Grey

Cable

Hawkeye

Human Torch

Iron Man

Ms. Marvel

Wolvorine

These all of synergies I consider being good to Gambit. If you have all at level 60, then you can build them as you want. I myself a leveling around Gambit. Mix as you want. If I missed someone feel free to let me know.

Uru

Axe - 200 melee damage.

Gauntlets - 200 physical damage

Both is considered good, I prefer the raw damage over the defense one, but if you think you are too squishy you can go for Plate.

Other considered

Belt - 200 energy damage. This is good, but I personally prefer getting melee/physical over energy as I do more Bo Beatdown attacks than AoS and 52 Pickup Card.
Conclusion.

This build is building around Bo Beatdown and a lot of melee spanking to your enemies. I’m not sure this build deals the most damage but I am having a blast using it.
If you have any questions feel free to ask away!

26/1-2014 Guide created

26/1-2014 Dooms Medallion added under considered medallions

28/1-2014 Moved Blessing of Fandral and Blessing of Hogin to considered while adding Blessing of Hela to main blessing

10/2-2014 Moved Hela to considered and Fandral and Hogin back to standard. Added new Artifact and moved Language! on considered

Just incase.. this is mine.

Location Too fat fat you must cut lean, you gotta take the elevator to the mezzanine...Posts: 10,516 Cosmic

I can see this working. You got rid of Royal Flush and All In and maxed out 52 and Black suits. I've been thinking of substituting out RF for something else as well.

Maybe throw Dooms Medallion in for consideration. The duration alone is awesome for Gumbo. And only reason I went Fighting and Speed on my core is because I get Energy from my Control Rod.

Nice build. Glad you found a fun way to enjoy him. :)

Thanks. I will add it.

I dislike 'All In' I thinks it looks odd even it does a lot of damage, the animation is just too odd for me.

Location Too fat fat you must cut lean, you gotta take the elevator to the mezzanine...Posts: 10,516 Cosmic
edited January 2014

Agreed. I think he should hold the staff 2handed because the staff movement isn't wrong, just looks awkward 1 handed.

WakandanPosts: 1 New Agent

I'm glad to see the hybrid build is a viable option. All I was hearing was he was only good ranged. I've played Gambit to lvl 38 so far and decided to instead get Black Panther to 60 since he was tuned up. I'll be revisiting Gambit soon with a good hybrid build in mind

Location TamrielPosts: 2,366 Fantastic
edited January 2014

At least this build has 2 attacks in it. Which is 1 more then I am currently using. Oh Gambit, so flexible and diverse. 1 or 2 skills, passives and Go!

Location Las Vegas, NVPosts: 42 Mighty

Nice job on this guide. Its great to see what other people are doing with their characters. It inspires me to try em out!

@Xumkin said:
Nice job on this guide. Its great to see what other people are doing with their characters. It inspires me to try em out!

Thanks Xumkin!

FuturistPosts: 668 Amazing

For the blessings I'd go with Hela rather than the ones you mentioned since using RC gives quite a big crit rate boost making it really powerfull with 20% brutal strike rating.

Other than that, decent hybrid build :)

@Graeves said:
For the blessings I'd go with Hela rather than the ones you mentioned since using RC gives quite a big crit rate boost making it really powerfull with 20% brutal strike rating.

Other than that, decent hybrid build :)

What is RC?

But they are actually quite good. I will consider them into my build.

@Flunkie said:
What is RC?

Ragin' Cajun

Location Seattle,WashingtonPosts: 151 Incredible

nice build! But it needs a little improvement on it.

edited January 2014

@azneric said:
nice build! But it needs a little improvement on it.

Explain? :)

AcePosts: 379 Amazing

I think you are missing a couple skill points. Might as well chuck a point in Sticky Fingers just to benefit from all the "+1 to powers" gear. Also, what do you use for bosses? AoS or BB, or both?

edited January 2014

@Ellimist said:
I think you are missing a couple skill points. Might as well chuck a point in Sticky Fingers just to benefit from all the "+1 to powers" gear.

I do not really mind about more credits drop and and a bit of rare item find, thats why I left it out. I got max gold just from playing the game and got almost all the gear I want just from playing the game. Maybe I'm just lucky. I'd much rather get points into Savate Expert to get the more tankyness from that.

@Ellimist said:
Also, what do you use for bosses? AoS or BB, or both?

I usually Ragin' Cajun -> Ace of Spades -> 52- > and spank the Language! out of the boss until my AoS blows up I throw it again.(unless its bugged then I throws again)

AsgardianPosts: 5 New Agent

Its good to see a build not rely on RF and StD

Location Seattle,WashingtonPosts: 151 Incredible

You need to have all in in the build almost max out. Or if you have the gear to give you the extra points. Also you want red suits for restore health. But if the build works for you I understand. Also for semi melee build or full melee build you should use the Advance crystal crimson. It's very helpful. Gives more damage for your melee attacks plus you get a force red shield. Also i would use hydra metal for raw damage and a another shield. Just my opinion.

R/Eric

edited January 2014

@azneric said:
You need to have all in in the build almost max out. Or if you have the gear to give you the extra points. Also you want red suits for restore health. But if the build works for you I understand. Also for semi melee build or full melee build you should use the Advance crystal crimson. It's very helpful. Gives more damage for your melee attacks plus you get a force red shield. Also i would use hydra metal for raw damage and a another shield. Just my opinion.

R/Eric

I dislike All In. I dislike the animation and i generally dont like the 'hold down button to use powers' powers :P. That's why I went with BB. I also like the vulnerability from BB which makes me deal more damage.

I prefer Black Suits over Red suits because I have Relic of Lemuria to get my health back up and black suits gives me damage when I AoS.

I can see the point of Crystal Crimson but i prefer some with AS over raw damage, where most of the aftifacts I have pointed out gives that. The red shield is good though.

Thanks for the critic always usefull :)

Thanks for the build. How is Ace of Spades working out for applying the Black Suits debuff? Does the explosion apply it to a splash of enemies? or does the initial throw apply the debuff as well?

Just curious...

edited January 2014

@OldSchoolHeroes said:
Thanks for the build. How is Ace of Spades working out for applying the Black Suits debuff? Does the explosion apply it to a splash of enemies? or does the initial throw apply the debuff as well?

Pretty sure its on the initial throw of AoS.