Categories

The Marvel Heroes 2016 servers are up and running. Thank you for your patience.

CLAWS OUT! - Black Cat Hero Guide 2017

Location Honeybadger's DenPosts: 671 Amazing
edited April 28

CLAWS OUT! - Black Cat Hero Guide 2017

http://marvelheroes.info/build/3034/
MH.info page: marvelheroes.info/build/3034/

Table of Contents:
Preface
Powers
Talents
Rotation
Power Bar Layout
Gear
Infinity
Synergies
Team-Up Choice
Important Notes
Changelog

PREFACE

Hi and welcome.

This end-game build is my current go-to favourite for Ms. Hardy. It is a CQC claws melee fighting style (as opposed to her mid-range whips). As the title of the build implies, you will be making heavy use out of Claws Out. Claws Out is a movement power with no cooldown! It doesn't travel you as far as her regular 'dash' power, but it does give you the flexibility of dealing damage while moving at an unlimited rate. For that reason, it will be a main power in this build as well as act as your dash movement. To get the most out of the 'dash' portion of Claws Out, you may need to use it two or more times in quick succession in order to avoid incoming damage. Your best bet is to play around and get a feel for this play style.

This build also lets you experience all aspects of her kit; including a trap, an execute, a slow, some concealment, a lot of pick-pocketing, and some major bleed damage over time. I will be updating this build as best I can as time goes on, but for immediate concerns or requests don't hesitate to PM me!

POWERS:

Cat Scratch Fever [Signature, 30s Cooldown]: High damage, high cooldown, and provides invulnerability when active.
Deep Cuts [Main Spender, Claw Power]: Increased crit chance when Foe Fillet is on cooldown.
Foe Fillet [8s Cooldown, Claw Power]: Buffs all Claw Powers for a time after use.
Claws Out [8s Duration, Claw Power]: Bleeding damage over time (DoT) and replaces Quick Getaway as your new dash power.
Cat Nap [4s Cooldown, Claw Power]: Execute power. Execute powers deal more damage the lower your enemy's health is. With talents, Cat Nap always crits (damage currently bugged, see notes).
Put 'Em Down [4s Cooldown, 8s Duration, Whip Power]: Applies a powerful bleeding DoT. With talents, PED slows the enemy for 8s.
Sticky Trap [8s duration, Trap Power]: Immobilizes enemies. Applies vulnerability to enemies in an area for 8s, increasing any damage they take by 10%.
Master Thief [5s duration, 30s Cooldown]: The 'flavour' power in Felicia's kit. Steals a sellable credit item when you hit an enemy. Applies a 2s stun to enemies. Conceals you for 5s. Unhindered spirit recovery for duration.

TALENTS:

Tier 1 Talent - Pinpoint Accuracy: Increase to crit/brutal chance and small chance on hit to instantly defeat a non-boss enemy.
Tier 2 Talent - Cruel Claws: Claw powers buffed 5% and Foe Fillet's effect is now 8s to match it's cooldown.
Tier 3 Talent - Gate Crasher: Claw and Whip Powers always crit during Master Thief's duration. This includes bleeding DoTs.
Tier 4 Talent - Spring-loaded Traps: Provides much needed area damage while still providing you a long window of invulnerability. This Talent also lets you skip a rotation of applying Sticky Trap because it does it for you.
Tier 5 Talent - Curiosity Kills: This talent is what makes this build possible. It allows you to replace Quick Getaway with Claws Out. Without requiring stealth for CN or PED to work, you can use them without needing to cartwheel halfway across the screen.

ROTATION:

Sticky Trap > Foe Fillet > Master Thief > Put 'Em Down > Claws Out > Cat Nap > Cat Scratch Fever > Deep Cuts (filler)

POWER BAR LAYOUT:

LMB: Deep Cuts
RMB: Claws Out
Keybind 1: Sticky Trap
Keybind 2: Foe Fillet
Keybind 3: Master Thief
Keybind 4: Put 'Em Down
Keybind 5: Cat Nap
Keybind 6: Cat Scratch Fever

Claws Out is on RMB because I prefer my dash power there. Feel free to change around the power bar locations to fit your play style.

GEAR:

Slot 1: Fragment of Twilight (Any Hero, raid, craftable)
Slot 2: Agent Felicia's Body Suit (Black Cat)
Slot 3: Felicia's Leather Jacket (Black Cat)
Slot 4: Batroc's Savage Boots (Any Hero, Batroc the Leaper, Blue Omega Box)
Slot 5: Mask of the Noir Cat (Black Cat)
*All slots have +1 Fighting challenge bonus and +health/+cdr enchantment

Legendary: Savage Axe of Ares (lv80)
Medallion: Skrull Medallion of Bravery (preferred) or Cosmic Grim Reaper
Ring: Midtown Guardian's Signet (Claws Out is a movement power and triggers the 30% damage buff)
Relic: Atlantis (crit dmg)
Insignia: Cosmic Mockingbird (Brutal Strike Rating, Crit Damage Rating)
Uru-Forged: War Gauntlets +200 Physical Dmg
Runeword: The Power Doop
Catalyst: Cosmic Advanced Technological Systems w/Crit Damage Crafted Affixes.
The stats on the cosmic catalyst you are looking for are: Regenerate 3000hp/100sp on medkit use, Gain 50% dmg shield on medkit use, +3 Speed or Fighting.

Artifacts (I am currently testing the first 4, but the rest are viable):

• Spider-Clone Serum
  • Mayhem Demonblood (melee/physical)
  • Sabretooth's Furry Mane
  • Crossbones Teaching Credentials
  • Gem of the Kursed
  • Edge of Infinity
  • Flag of the Skrull Empire
  • Glinting Einherjar Brooch
  • Hulkbuster Physics Package
  • Superior Spider-Mask
  • Ziggurat
    *All artifacts have Blessing of Hela

INFINITY:

• Mind Gem [375] - Mental Focus (max), Intelligence (9* ranks). Use Deep Thought as a point dump until you accumulate 25 "extra" points, then remove a rank here and put into Fighting (Soul Gem).
  • Power Gem [150] - Superhuman (max).
  • Time Gem [150] - Temporal Loophole (only enough points to get your Deep Cuts skill to 3.0 attack speed with gear on). Then invest into Speed until you have 150 points spent in Time Gem total to earn the +1 Attributes bonus.
  • Soul Gem [150/infinite] - Fighting (point dump, take batches of 25 "extra" points from Deep Thought in Mind Gem).
  • Reality Gem [0] - N/A.
  • Space Gem [0] - N/A.

Five major notes for Infinity to clarfiy:

1. For Time Gem: the number of points invested into Temporal Loophole will change whenever you alter/upgrade your gear. If you can get to 3.0 attack speed on Deep Cuts from gear alone, with 0 points in Temporal Loophole, simply invest 6 ranks into Speed to get the +1 Attribute bonus. Example: After equipping all my gear, I can reach 3.0 attack speed with Deep Cuts by investing 25 ranks into Temporal Loophole. That's 100 points spent in Time Gem, which means I need to spend another 50 to get the +1 Attribute bonus. I invest 2 ranks into Speed to satisfy this (50 Infinity points).

2. For Intelligence at 9 ranks: Please note that you only need 9 ranks with this exact subset of gear. We are trying to get to 17 ranks in Intelligence on the character sheet for an additional 1000 crit damage. If you are substituting any gear for my selections, please look at your character sheet and adjust your ranks in Mind Gem's Intelligence node accordingly in order to have 17; no more no less. For example, if you are using a cosmic medallion instead of Skrull Medallion of Bravery, you will have an extra Intelligence point, and therefore only require 8 ranks in your Intelligence Infinity Node. This variance of required ranks in the Intelligence node will cause parallel variances in the Infinity "soft cap" for Black Cat (see below).

3. The Infinity Point "soft cap" for Black Cat with this exact subset of gear is exactly 825 points. 375 in Mind Gem, and 150 in Power/Time/Soul respectively. After you've reached this soft cap, invest all extra points into Fighting (see next).

4. For Fighting/Deep Thought "trade-off": After the soft cap, Fighting the the main point dump. Unfortunately, you have to earn 25 IP's before being able to invest 1 rank into Fighting. Until you can reach each 25 point (1 rank) investment into Fighting, use the residual points (1-24) to rank up Deep Thought for some extra spirit. The maximum number of points you will have in Deep Thought at any given time should be 24 (12 ranks). Then take them out of DT and put them into Fighting once you reach 25. This process will be recurring forever, as there is no cap to Fighting.

5. For the extreme min/maxers out there: After the soft cap of 825, you can invest your "extra" points into Intelligence 17 ranks at a time (which will grant an additional 1020 crit damage) instead of dumping them into Fighting as previously suggested. For those who do not see why I am suggesting this: it is more beneficial to invest into Fighting as a point dump instead of Intelligence because it is a more consistent level of damage increase over time. Crit damage (Intelligence) has more potential when it is increased substantially all at once. The reason this is for extreme circumstances is that it will take years for someone to be able to earn enough infinity points to make this happen.

SYNERGIES:

Angela (dmg)
Cable (crit)
Elektra (dmg)
Iceman (dmg)
Loki (dmg/cost reduction)
Moon Knight (crit)
She-Hulk (dmg/regen)
War Machine (dmg)
Wolverine (brutal)
X-23 (dmg)

TEAM-UP:

Clea and Doctor Strange provide team buffs that you may not normally have if playing solo or in small groups. If you are playing in a large group or raid, I would suggest any of the Wolverine TUs.
*TU Gear - Testing TBD.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• Black Cat benefits from the SPEED and FIGHTING attributes. Fighting has the slight edge due to bonus crit built in.
  • Cat Nap is currently bugged. It only deals two hits every other time you use it. So if you activate Cat Nap 10 times during the course of a boss fight, it will deal two packets of damage 5 times and only one packet of damage the other 5 times (totaling 15 hits instead of the correct 20).

• I've been around Marvel Heroes since November 2013, and consider myself quite knowledgeable about the game. It's important to note that I have invested a generous amount of time and effort not only into MH, but many MMO-type games over the years and I am a min/maxer. I can't promise you that you will enjoy the type of gameplay this build requires (you should, it's super fun!), but I CAN promise you that I will always prioritize damage and utility over ease of gameplay.

CHANGELOG:
3/3/2017: Began thread.
3/6/2017: Added MH.info build page.
4/22/2017: Updated build with Infinity 2.0 system.

edited March 4

Ran into formatting issues with copying... or maybe I just suck at forum-ing lol.

Typed out what I could, but will try to salvage pics, etc soon.

OriginalPosts: 740 Amazing
edited March 4

Looks good. I like the dash swap. Does CC become an issue without Quick Getaway? Cat Nap still being bugged is obnoxious. It's consistently reproducible and has been bug reported in every location available.

The dash swap is what I live for! It's also great for changing your position constantly around an enemy to avoid telegraphed attacks without losing DPS.

I have not noticed a significant difference from not having QG's CC break. But that may be due to a combination of the above (changing positions all the time) and luck. My thoughts are that even if I get 'caught' by CC once in a while, she has 9 lives to bail her out.

@ColeAuden said:
Looks good. I like the dash swap. Does CC become an issue without Quick Getaway? Cat Nap still being bugged is obnoxious. It's consistently reproducible and has been bug reported in every location available.

Very nice !
Thats the build Im using too. Always loved claws powers :)

Location ...........Posts: 87 Mighty

Nice! will give this a shot thank you Fleyn for all your hard work :D great build

Are Skrull Communication Device and Lizard's Formula not viable alternate artifact options for this build? I was meaning to give Felicia a go post-BUE, but aside from a spare Furry Mane, I don't quite have all the artifacts you listed available and I have cosmic versions of those two.

edited March 15

@thelesserevil said:
Are Skrull Communication Device and Lizard's Formula not viable alternate artifact options for this build? I was meaning to give Felicia a go post-BUE, but aside from a spare Furry Mane, I don't quite have all the artifacts you listed available and I have cosmic versions of those two.

Viable alternatives are subjective, but from a DPS/TTK perspective, the short answer is no.

The long answer is: possibly.

Firstly (without getting into a ton of math), you could theoretically replace Mayhem Demonblood with Cosmic Liz if you didn't have a good Mockingbird insignia. The damage rating would only be slightly lower and you'd be exchanging 2000 health and 1% crit multiplier for a revive and some loh/soh. I suppose that's close enough to justify it as a viable alternative, as long as it was near max rolled. However, if you were using Mockingbird, you'd be hitting diminishing returns on atk spd which would make Liz a redundant option. If that were the case, you'd be better off with a HPP that has a high crit/brut roll and a low atk spd roll as a budget alternative with more desirable stats.

Secondly, you could replace Mane with your SCD, but you'd be losing quite a bit of damage/crit. Plus SCD is harder to roll well than Mane.

Teaching Credentials and SCS are basically BIS for this build so I wouldn't recommend replacing those. However, I will say that it is VERY difficult to roll a good SCS, so the first artifact I would substitute out would be a low roll SCS over any of the others.

Ultimately, use what you have and try it out. Unless you're trying to set a new TTK record, you probably won't notice a huge difference. Artifacts are a lot closer in usefulness now than they ever have been before.

Hope that helps, feel free to continue the discussion here or via PM. Thanks for the question!

@EmptyNight said:
Nice! will give this a shot thank you Fleyn for all your hard work :D great build

@EmptyNight Thanks, Let me know what you enjoy/hate the most!

@Fleyn said:

Firstly (without getting into a ton of math), you could theoretically replace Mayhem Demonblood with Cosmic Liz if you didn't have a good Mockingbird insignia. The damage rating would only be slightly lower and you'd be exchanging 2000 health and 1% crit multiplier for a revive and some loh/soh. I suppose that's close enough to justify it as a viable alternative, as long as it was near max rolled. However, if you were using Mockingbird, you'd be hitting diminishing returns on atk spd which would make Liz a redundant option. If that were the case, you'd be better off with a HPP that has a high crit/brut roll and a low atk spd roll as a budget alternative with more desirable stats.

I do not actually have ANY Mockingbird insignia's available, and slapped one of the eleventy Heroes for Hire insignias on her instead. It seems far from ideal, but this one had fairly good brut rating and the +1 fighting doesn't hurt, I figured. I DO actually have a Mayhem Demonblood to spare for her, so I could give that one a go. I'd lose out on the +10% sig cooldown that the Cosmic Liz has, but I guess that doesn't factor into it too much.

Just out of curiosity, what attack speed increase are we aiming for with this build? I figure that any extra attack speed increase I get from artifacts could always come out of the Temporal Loophole infinity node instead. I've only got 737 infinity points, so anything I save on there can go into the +Speed node instead.

Secondly, you could replace Mane with your SCD, but you'd be losing quite a bit of damage/crit. Plus SCD is harder to roll well than Mane.

I do have a Mane for her. It's not cosmic, but it seemed like a hard to replace one either way. Of course I'm not really hurting for +crit chance on her, sitting at over 50% with my current setup.

Teaching Credentials and SCS are basically BIS for this build so I wouldn't recommend replacing those. However, I will say that it is VERY difficult to roll a good SCS, so the first artifact I would substitute out would be a low roll SCS over any of the others.

Ultimately, use what you have and try it out. Unless you're trying to set a new TTK record, you probably won't notice a huge difference. Artifacts are a lot closer in usefulness now than they ever have been before.

Yeah, I tried the trial with her after not touching her at all for what felt like a year with a Furry Mane/Superior Spider-Mask/cosmic Skrull Comm Device/cosmic Lizard Formula artifact setup and she did it quicker than I remember doing it on anyone (and that includes recent powerhouses like Human Torch and Iron Fist). Having luck on my side helped, with the 2% chance to instantly kill any non-boss enemy practically one-shotting the Hulk Busters and Sentinels, but still, Felicia did well.

With the current TC changes looking like they'll gut Iron Fist, Felicia might be reaping the benefit and getting a Serum and Teaching Credentials though. She's been fun in the cosmic content I've done with her, since despite her having a lot less health than I'd usually be comfortable with on a melee hero (she's at like, 21K) she hasn't died on me yet.

...officially anyway. Doesn't count unless someone kills her 9 times in a row. >.>

Without mockingbird, definitely give Liz a go. The 10% sig cooldown will only help.

Atk spd target I'd try to shoot for is minimum 3 hits per second on Deep Cuts (in combat, with procs). It's not difficult to hit that mark, but important just the same.

Yeah 9 lives has been great for me especially running this melee build. If you run out just pop her Ult for 9 more!

Now all that's left is for Gaz to fix Cat Nap to deal damage properly and I'll be happy lol

I'd gotten a little bored lately after grinding so much with She-Hulk and Jean Gray, so I started looking for characters that matched well to the pile of gear I had stashed. I went looking for someone to wear that Midtown ring, and stumbled on to this build.

I love it.

There are actually lots of options for decent gearing if you can't find the BiS stuff. Essentially anything that adds Movement damage, Crit chance/damage or Bleed damage is fair game. The ring makes this build tick, everything else is incremental value in real playing scenarios.

Thanks for putting this build together. My BC is now a whirling dervish of bleeding and it's sheer fun.

Glad to hear you're enjoying this!

And yes, the one good thing that came with the BUE was how it made artifacts a lot closer in power than they used to. Before the BUE, BiS vs. Non-BiS was like night and day. But now, builds and heroes are closer than ever in power levels even with previously not-so-sought-after artifacts.

If you enjoy this build, you'd probably like X23 as well - although I can't see you ever getting bored of Felicia ;)

If you have a free moment, it would really help this build see more use if you went over to MH.info and upvoted it.

For the other readers of this thread: I would, however, prioritize movement damage last. The MM Ring is nice because it boosts all damage, but I wouldn't go out and actively gear for mvmt dmg just because one skill you rotate in every 8 sec (ideally) benefits from it.

Thanks and enjoy!

@MysteryBowler said:

I'd gotten a little bored lately after grinding so much with She-Hulk and Jean Gray, so I started looking for characters that matched well to the pile of gear I had stashed. I went looking for someone to wear that Midtown ring, and stumbled on to this build.

I love it.

There are actually lots of options for decent gearing if you can't find the BiS stuff. Essentially anything that adds Movement damage, Crit chance/damage or Bleed damage is fair game. The ring makes this build tick, everything else is incremental value in real playing scenarios.

Thanks for putting this build together. My BC is now a whirling dervish of bleeding and it's sheer fun.

Updated MH build with Infinity 2.0 and investment reasoning in OP.

Feel free to discuss, and enjoy!

edited April 27

Awesome guide! But I really would love to know, how is she in a cosmic content ?

edited April 28

So far, great!

Of course, 9 Lives are there for a reason... she isn't a God hero, but by no means is she "squishy."

I geared for full DPS. If you find yourself wanting more survivability, you can always swap out gear, change enchants, or invest into healing Infinity nodes. But imho, the game in it's current state should not require you to do so.

Remember this helpful tip: If you only have a couple (or none) of her 9 Lives left, you can pop her ultimate power to not only be virtually unkillable for 20 sec, but also fully replenish all 9 Lives!

@KacpikolPs said:
Awesome guide! But I really would love to know, how is she in a cosmic content ?