Categories

Best legendary to cover all possible builds?

I'm planning on bulding her many different builds, but not buying more than one legendary. Although Warlocks Eye covers all of her powers, the critical chance is only for mental attacks, and would not function for summoners. Would M'Kran be worth getting in place of Warlock's Eye, for the possible critical advantage that a summoner build would get?

Location Out farming a COSMIC Kool-Aid Man Was Right T-shirtPosts: 1,878 Fantastic

Honestly I don't think any legendary besides trident is going to cut it for a summoner build. That's just not going to work, IMO the numbers aren't there. Warlock's eye should be great for both melee and sorcery builds, though.

Location Black Knight's Castle..Waiting..Posts: 1,205 Fantastic

Neptune's Trident is the best all around legendary for magik if you will go hybrid builds. it has damage and crit rating for melee and summon damage ratings for sorcery and summons :)

Thanks for the responds. I hadn't considered the Trident. I didn't realize that the damage and critical rating was the equivalent of the M'Kran Crystal. I probably will go with it. I just hate the visual clutter of the last proc :p

Location Black Knight's Castle..Waiting..Posts: 1,205 Fantastic
edited February 7

@JoshieB said:
Thanks for the responds. I hadn't considered the Trident. I didn't realize that the damage and critical rating was the equivalent of the M'Kran Crystal. I probably will go with it. I just hate the visual clutter of the last proc :p

You are Welcome. I just started my Magik as well. I do not know how to specifically build her yet hence I took the Trident lolz. I am experimenting on a lot of skill although I am leaning more on melee hence trident legendary haha. I want to create a kind of Spellsword hero where she can use her sword well while still throwing around spells etc :) Hope she get the VUs and QoL that hulk, cyke, blade and Angela had soon. Include Thor to this needing a QoL and VUs haha

edited February 7

@KidWithKnife said:
Honestly I don't think any legendary besides trident is going to cut it for a summoner build. That's just not going to work, IMO the numbers aren't there. Warlock's eye should be great for both melee and sorcery builds, though.

@Ashurann said:
Neptune's Trident is the best all around legendary for magik if you will go hybrid builds. it has damage and crit rating for melee and summon damage ratings for sorcery and summons :)

@JoshieB said:

Item Grade 80 Eye and Trident currently give nearly identical DPS values, with the Eye a tiny margin ahead. Magik at current has no "pure" summon or non summon build that gives acceptable dps, and the affix that gives Magik's Vengeful Spirit and Spirit Fangs, Doom's Latverian Air Defense, and Iceman's Work of Art and Frozen orb bonus damage from summon damage is currently bugged and non functional.

Lately I've been putting Shield of Perseus on almost all my heroes. It basically covers what you need of defensive stats leaving you free to focus only on offense on the rest of your slots. Plus, it works with any build of any character.

However, summoners are an exception. You just NEED to have summon damage in as many slots as you can or else it'll be very weak. So for summoners I use the Trident.

I also don't like having 2 sets of gear for each character, and always try to equip them with items that work for every skill (even if not absolutely BiS). But with characters that can be summoners I just have to make a choice if they'll be summoners or not.

@Kupursk said:

Lately I've been putting Shield of Perseus on almost all my heroes. It basically covers what you need of defensive stats leaving you free to focus only on offense on the rest of your slots. Plus, it works with any build of any character.

However, summoners are an exception. You just NEED to have summon damage in as many slots as you can or else it'll be very weak. So for summoners I use the Trident.

I also don't like having 2 sets of gear for each character, and always try to equip them with items that work for every skill (even if not absolutely BiS). But with characters that can be summoners I just have to make a choice if they'll be summoners or not.

summoner artifacts before the big update wasn't a big downgrade. The Limbo artifact, moleman's, all the encephlo beams, and iron legion armor sheath, Even Cage's Luck Chain. But now, with attributes becoming a lot more powerful thing, most artifacts end up giving a thousand damage rating (when coverting attributes to damage rating.) I think Enchephlo beam and Iron legion sheath is still good, even for non-summoners. Although changing damage rating to attributes makes Encephlo beam a lot more niche.

@JoshieB said:

@Kupursk said:

summoner artifacts before the big update wasn't a big downgrade. The Limbo artifact, moleman's, all the encephlo beams, and iron legion armor sheath, Even Cage's Luck Chain. But now, with attributes becoming a lot more powerful thing, most artifacts end up giving a thousand damage rating (when coverting attributes to damage rating.) I think Enchephlo beam and Iron legion sheath is still good, even for non-summoners. Although changing damage rating to attributes makes Encephlo beam a lot more niche.

Gearing summoners actually depends a lot on which hero... some have their damage more focused on pets only, and some are more divided between direct attacks and pet damage.

Although after the Big Update all of them seem to be more inclined to the latter, using lots of direct attacks too. Which made me, too, wonder whether pure Pet Damage items aren't very good now.

But still you can't miss the chance of getting some Pet Damage in every slot you can, or else your pets will do mediocre damage. :/

@Kupursk said:

@JoshieB said:

@Kupursk said:

Gearing summoners actually depends a lot on which hero... some have their damage more focused on pets only, and some are more divided between direct attacks and pet damage.

Although after the Big Update all of them seem to be more inclined to the latter, using lots of direct attacks too. Which made me, too, wonder whether pure Pet Damage items aren't very good now.

But still you can't miss the chance of getting some Pet Damage in every slot you can, or else your pets will do mediocre damage. :/

I avoid any of the items that don't directly benefit character damage. I use the good artifacts that I mentioned above, and try to avoid Luke's chain and Moleman for now, since the direct damage rating isn't great. Even with 300 percent summon damage, the summon layers I've looked at seem low in-comparison to non-summon layers. I think summons should at least benifit from the attribute system, otherwise it will always be niche, and require a whole new set of gearing, that other's don't need to worry about.

@JoshieB said:

I avoid any of the items that don't directly benefit character damage. I use the good artifacts that I mentioned above, and try to avoid Luke's chain and Moleman for now, since the direct damage rating isn't great. Even with 300 percent summon damage, the summon layers I've looked at seem low in-comparison to non-summon layers. I think summons should at least benifit from the attribute system, otherwise it will always be niche, and require a whole new set of gearing, that other's don't need to worry about.

Truth is summons were all but forgotten in the big update, and are in a very weird place right now. Some summoners are playable, others are very weak, but itemization is awkward overall.

I'm hoping they do a pass on summon builds and gear eventually, and meanwhile I'm not really playing my summoners much.

What about the upcoming summoner changes. In short summons dps is pending on hero rather than + summon stats

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/313403/test-center-summoner-changes-2-16#latest

I would expect this changes things quite a bit from trident. Thoughts?

@Aricin said:
What about the upcoming summoner changes. In short summons dps is pending on hero rather than + summon stats

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/313403/test-center-summoner-changes-2-16#latest

I would expect this changes things quite a bit from trident. Thoughts?

yeah, I think I'll just be using trident for Doom and Ultron, since those are the only Hybrid summoners. But I think I'll be changing to Warlock's eye.

I wonder how the new patch will change the math on which legendary is best. Is Warlocke's eye now 100% the best or does Trident still have value?

Also, I wonder how Magik's damage is post patch because I hear right now she quite sub-par which is sad to hear.

@CrusaderBro said:
I wonder how the new patch will change the math on which legendary is best. Is Warlocke's eye now 100% the best or does Trident still have value?

Also, I wonder how Magik's damage is post patch because I hear right now she quite sub-par which is sad to hear.

as of now you'll get 1000 more damage rating to summon with trident, but 1000 less for every other attack. For a guy who wants to use 2 or 3 different builds, Eye is certainly the way to go.

To be honest I am starting to lean more and more towards shield. Cosmic danger room and Cosmic musp to melee-ish heroes is very difficult / frustrating if your defence is lagging.

All that might change with Omega gear and potentially the new cosmic gear, but who knows.

@Aricin said:
To be honest I am starting to lean more and more towards shield. Cosmic danger room and Cosmic musp to melee-ish heroes is very difficult / frustrating if your defence is lagging.

All that might change with Omega gear and potentially the new cosmic gear, but who knows.

I think she is pretty sturdy in melee range as long as you use certain talents, like the step to me talent and the one that gives her soul brand the 20 percent weaken, But I haven't tried danger room since the update. Before the update, I got through them with 0 defeats most of the time.

@JoshieB said:

@CrusaderBro said:

as of now you'll get 1000 more damage rating to summon with trident, but 1000 less for every other attack. For a guy who wants to use 2 or 3 different builds, Eye is certainly the way to go.

Seeing as the summons would inherit your mental boost from the eye now too, I think this is probably safe to say for everyone, not just people who like to switch about. Trident might still make sense for Doom (though honestly I mean Gungnir; summon items are dead long live summons) since he's got all three damage types that items might be boosting, but pure type summoners can lean into their one and let it trickle down.

@AzraelNewtype said:

@JoshieB said:

@CrusaderBro said:

Seeing as the summons would inherit your mental boost from the eye now too, I think this is probably safe to say for everyone, not just people who like to switch about. Trident might still make sense for Doom (though honestly I mean Gungnir; summon items are dead long live summons) since he's got all three damage types that items might be boosting, but pure type summoners can lean into their one and let it trickle down.

I use trident for Ultron as well. I think the frequency of the procs alone will make it beat out Norn.

I am totally unable to figure out how the new “summon” changes are actually working. The way I read and understood it that summon damage is no longer tied to + summon dmg & items but to the characters actual damage rating and the highest one.

So, I am taking Colossus, he is pretty decently geared. His dmg rating per tool tip is at 3,257 and his physical dmg rating is at 4,367, but his summon dmg rating is 760 ????

Comparing that to my Magik, still geared with Trident and some + summon dmg % items, her dmg rating is 2,327 and her mental is 3,522 and here her summon dmg rating is 3,431

So for Magik it works like the patch notes state, but for example for Colossus it doesn’t? I thought it was either all or nothing. Anyone can help explain this to me please  ?

in a different thread this explanation was posted (based on the question in my previous post)

Physical, Energy and Mental Damage Ratings include your base Damage Rating.
Melee, Ranged, Area and Summon Damage Ratings do not.

So for Colossus, his overall bonus from DR is 4367 + 760 = 5127.
For Magik, it's 3522 + 3431 = 6953.

So, how much is there to gain by swapping trident with warlock eye and potentially how much dps would you loose with shield?