Last Chance! The Halloween Half-Off Costume Sale ends tomorrow Friday October 31st.
Juggernaut and Wave 4 Villain Preorder Packs are now available!

Categories

what is Team Insignias? are the special item or rarity?

Location KNOWHEREPosts: 2,838 Fantastic
edited September 2013

@Doomsaw said:

It's easy to make them special item and maybe they should be.

Why do you have a preference?

i usually equip for special item....they aren't as rare as uniques are they?

actually i hardly equip for rarity

BubPosts: 123 Incredible

@canni said: So is there any use for the three hundred and some odd weird splintery looking things in my inventory or do I just destroy them?

The only thing that sif does for those is effect double and 10 drops they are on a timer.... Never gotten either in over 100 hours since that patch

@Tzeentch said: Yea, but aren't they ALL special items? If they are all special items then they would all compete with the chance to be the drop and it wouldn't be each one counting as its own thing. If it was that way, wouldnt each one need to be classified in its own way?

I just think that if I kill X boss, he has a % chance to drop any special item, increased by your SIF, independent of each other. So if you had somehow attained enough SIF to make the special item drop 100% (never, obviously), you'd get one of each type of special item when killing something. That seems to jive more with the drops of multiple special items that I've seen so far in the game, than special items pushing each other out. In fact, it'd be pretty bad if they were doing that, as who knows what way it would prioritize, as they're all the same quality color.

In the end we don't know for sure, but I don't think the drops to date bear out the idea that they're pushing each other around like rarity progression does.

WebheadLocation CaliforniaPosts: 619 Amazing

@THEODB said: The only thing that sif does for those is effect double and 10 drops they are on a timer.... Never gotten either in over 100 hours since that patch

Didn't they remove the timer? And wasn't the timer only ever a minimum drop where you could get extras within the 7 minute timer if you were lucky? I just got two off back to back elites earlier today so I'm pretty sure SIF impacts their drop.

Location Trapped in a Permanent HULK hugPosts: 722 Amazing

@Doomsaw said:

For me it's like this:

Special Item Find as an affix takes away from ANY other crucial offense/defense stat. When I am trying to make the best of my hero I don't care about special items at all. If a gear based item falls into the special item category it stands alone from every other piece of gear. This doesn't seem right to me.

Rarity helps find cosmic gear and relics correct? Well if that is the case and Insignia is for hero builds it is fitting as rarity. If players are to be rewarded in X Defense for survivability and build then it is my opinion that players should be rewarded for using the affix that aids them in gearing properly and not for stacking on an affix that takes away from things that can be purchased from the store.

My 2 pennies.

One Love. Respect.

p.s. when I think of these rarity vs. special item conversations I always feel like the only real place they make any difference is in the costume core. The percentages after 20% or 25% do not seem to really be worth the sacrifice no matter how much tweaking.

Who would rather have an increased chance at finding something by .05% over say a critical chance rating of 200?

Location Trapped in a Permanent HULK hugPosts: 722 Amazing

@Kerch said: All items that affect hero performance should be governed by RiF. Splinters, costumes and the like should be governed by SiF.

You said what I wrote but a lot more efficiently. Thank you.

Location AFKPosts: 2,210 Fantastic

@Doomsaw said:

I hate to say it, but it should probably be rarity. Currently, I stack the snot out of SiF for costumes and all the other special goodies we get with it. Basically, SiF seems to be the one to stack if you want to spend less money.

Rarity seems to be underutilized. Granted, it's better now that relics and uniques are rarity-based. Still, insignia seems to fit in better with relics and uniques than it does costumes and fortune cards.

I'd like to see you folks continue to balance out the two. Sure, I'd like everything to fit within what I build for. In the interest of balance, however... yeah, rarity is probably better.

True BelieverPosts: 896 Amazing

Rarity

Since splinters have appeared I've had one costume drop, whereas I had about a dozen before then. It's obvious their drop rates were nerfed and I'm OK with that. Point is, I don't run SIF and don't want to.

Rarity=Gear

SIF=Cash shop stuff

I would prefer special find. Right now Splinters and relics drop pretty good despite having a low special find. Players need more incentive to equip special find.

WebheadLocation CaliforniaPosts: 619 Amazing

@Tzeentch said: Yea, but aren't they ALL special items? If they are all special items then they would all compete with the chance to be the drop and it wouldn't be each one counting as its own thing. If it was that way, wouldnt each one need to be classified in its own way?

Special Item is just a name to make it easier for us to understand what our gear is affecting. They could add insignias and lower the droprate of costumes if they wanted, but the actual droprate of each item is entirely under their control and it wouldn't make sense to do that. The fact that they have frequently tweaked the droprate of splinters and recently added relics without changing the droprate of fortune cards and costumes tells me that they treat each type of item as its own thing.

Phoenix PoweredLocation Death ValleyPosts: 1,254 Fantastic
edited September 2013

@Doomsaw said:

They will be rarity find.

They work just like the 5 other basic slots: They have different rarities - green, blue and rare.

They are a new slot with very specific functionality (each insignia has an Aura).

Example:

Avengers Insignia of Tony Stark

Avengers Insignia of Captain America

X-Men Insignia of Havok

X-Men Insignia of Kitty Pryde

X-Men Insignia of Wolverine

Guardians of the Galaxy Insignia of Groot

Guardians of the Galaxy Insignia of Star-Lord

Guardians of the Galaxy Insignia of Adam Warlock

Thunderbolts Insignia of Deadpool

Thunderbolts Insignia of Venom

Thunderbolts Insignia of Red Hulk

Shield Insignia of Nick Fury (anyone can use SHIELD insignias)

Shield Insignia of Quake

Shield Insignia of Mockingbird

etc, etc, etc, etc...

Each has an aura corresponding to the hero they are inspired by.

Each has a number of affixes based on their rarity (green, blue, purple, etc.)

How rare will the rare team insignia be? are they as common as epic gears & relics or as rare as uniques??

edited September 2013

Sorry, man. 3 disagrees... you're incorrect all over the place.

@THEODB said: The only thing that sif does for those is effect double and 10 drops they are on a timer.... Never gotten either in over 100 hours since that patch

That is your opinion, but is not a fact. It's more difficult to prove now since drop rates for individual splinters were recently upped across the board (or certainly in terminals and story), but before that there was a significant difference between how often my Wolverine (mid-60% SiF) and any other character I have (next highest is about 30-something% SiF) would get a splinter drop.

I would prefer special as of right now the only thing special really affects is relics.

Unless I missed something, relics are rarity. How do I know? They drop off Grey mobs. SiF items don't.

None of those other things ever drop and the benefit you get from special for those items drop rates isn't even remotely worth stacking it for. I did forget about fortune cards though so you got me there.

Yeah, well I like not having to pay for every costume. I've had 2 drop. I've also had 3 10-packs of splinters drop. I'd say fortune cards are a nice, but nearly useless find (but that is just my opinion having found all the rare things I could want from the hundreds I've opened for free in the past few months).

Further, the timer thing is far less significant. I don't know if it's still in place but the timer is a misconception. The timer (in it's original incarnation - I don't know if it's even in the game now) was not a guaranteed 8 minute drop timer as so many people insisted it was. It was more like, after X minutes (Doomsaw's original statement) the drop chance would increase significantly. That's why so many people would get them around 8 minutes but others would get them from 8-10 minutes.. other still would get them 8-12 minutes. It wasn't guaranteed to drop at 8. There is no guarantee a splinter will drop at any exact minute now.

@nbccomedy said: How rare will the rare team insignia? as they as common as epic gears & relics or as rare as uniques??

From what he said, and since there's three tiers of Insignias, green blue and rare, one would assume they drop just like normal gear, with corresponding frequency. Given that they're affixed just like normal gear, it seems it'll take the same amount of time to find a good purple one for your build as it would to find a good purple any other item.

Best guess off the info in his post. Makes sense though.

As a disclaimer: if relics are SiF and I am correct in saying SiF items don't drop off grey mobs.. then there is a bug because when I rush green terminals for shards, I get relics all the time. At level 57, all the T1 terminal mobs are definitely grey.

@walkeneightyone said:

uniques are affixed gears too...but they crazy rare!!!

anyways the next question will be ARE THEY TRADABLE ???