Fortune Card Sale is live now and ends Noon PDT Saturday July 26!
Chase Costumes are back in store until Noon PDT Friday July 25!

Categories

Loki - Sorcerer Supreme [Guide] / Updated for patch 2.1

True BelieverLocation The Derek Zoolander School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good TooPosts: 3,243 Uncanny
edited January 22

Loki Sorcerer Supreme Guide v. 2.1

Guide has been updated to Patch 2.1+. I've included an alternative more ranged damage oriented build that uses no basic attacks. Both builds are perfectly viable for anyone who might want to try different playstyles. Discussion for post-patch 2.01 begins at the end of Page 7 on this topic.

Hi all,

This build guide is focusing on skills around mischief and sorcery trees for maximum fun factor in farming and PVP efficiency. This build takes the most ouf ot two of my favorite trees on Loki and puts them together in a perfect mix of Hybrid Melee/ranged with added in debuffs.

Since Dr. Strange is not yet with us, Loki will be claiming the title of Sorcerer Supreme till further notice. >-) 8-X

This build is fully functional in patch 2.1+ as illusions can finally do critical hits again (fixed in 2.02). This build has been built around itemization that should be valid and fully functional with all possible specs for Loki. If you spec to crit instead of pet damage, you can swap around freely between various builds, without ever having to change your gear. Crit also increases the amount of procs from Ikol, so it is highly recommended as the damage rating makes a huge difference in your damage output. There are multiple ways to change this build by tweaking whatever you need the feel to tweak. I have not intentionally included Any Hero uniques to this build as they are so rare. If you find one that is better than one of the Loki uniques, feel free to use them! There are several options out there that might suit your playstyle better. Nothing in this build is an absolute "must", you do not need to be worried that the build stops working if you decide to change something. In fact, changing things to fit your playstyle better is very adviced. However, if you do so, let me know what you changed and why, so i might learn from you as well.

Build 1:

http://marvelbase.com/builds/generator/loki#KvMvCvv2vv22vK2v2Kv2M/0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

It is recommended to swap between cold snap and arcane binding in PvP. Use the one you prefer, but arcane binding has much longer CD.

Build 2:

http://marvelbase.com/builds/generator/loki#KvMvCvv2vv222K2vvKv2M/0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

This build uses no basic attacks. Spatial deception has been dropped and left click now has bouncing bolt on it. On right click i use illusionary projection (F2) and arcane binding (F1). As this build sports practically endless amount of spirit through Pym's Shrinking serum, you will use illusionary projection and midirection to pump out illusions instead of spatial deception.

Skill details:

Skill and hotbar for build Overview for build 1: (My hotbar setup has changed ever since as one can see from my build 2 screenshot, but this is really up to everyone's own preference as it hardly makes any difference to the actual playstyle.)

These builds utilize Loki's best damage skills from sorcery tree along with pets from Mischief for additional cannon fodder.

As Lay waste gets immense amounts of bonus damage from debuffs, we will be using arcane binding and Bouncing bolt to ramp up the damage. This is easily enough to justify spamming Lay waste, as Lay waste scales very well.

Bouncing bolt is the heart of these builds. It is extremely potent against bosses and trash alike. The more bosses you are fighting, the better.

Core skills:

Arcane shield:

This skill is an immediate max for better projectile reflection and reasonable damage increase.

Bouncing bolt:

One of the most potent skill Loki has. It bounces 8 times, and does immense damage while applying debuffs.

Lay waste:

This is your main ranged and AOE spell. Highly spammable and fast.

Stats and build 2 hotbar:

The Gear:

Crit (aim for 50%), +All skills and power duration. Aim for at least 10000 base hitpoints.

Power duration is immensely helpful because it helps you to maintain your short duration debuffs for lay waste. It also increases the duration of arcane binding, and your temporary buffs from Ikol/Armor of invincibility.

For maximum efficiency, you want to use Ikol, Armor of invincibility Uniques and laevateinn. All loki uniques work really well in this build, except the Golden apple boots, which are terrible. It is probably a good idea to try to find a good cosmic to slot 3 instead.

As crown of lies got changed and pet damage being a bit off, i would recommend to look for a cosmic helmet with 600+ critical rating to fill slot 5. If you got Tacticon, use it.

Ikol:

Damage rating on crit... Yes please!

Armor of invincibility:

This armor is too good to pass.

Laevateinn:

Great stats and great procs.

Medallion:

Doom medallion with maximum power duration. Preferably cosmic.

OR cosmic wizard medallion.

Artifacts:

Pym's shrinking serum

Power prism shard

Advanced metasensory array

Hand of Doom

If you feel you are alright with spirit and using Gibborim, dropping Pym's for another damage artifact is not a bad idea at all. Piluvian superconductor is a decent choice as well.

Costume affixes & Core

All crit with life steal core. I would prefer health/spirit on medkit or energy as the second stat. Still trying to find a better core for myself. Energy and health are very acceptable tas well.

edit. Health/spirit on medkit is by far superior for PVP. I almost feel like it's mandatory for great success.

Legendary:

Crit, crit crit and crit.

Relics:

Lemuria. You already feel like immortal. Why not make yourself even more durable.

Gibborim might be decent as well if you do not want to use Pym's or are having problem with spirit.

Ring:

Stats you might want for PVE/pvp:

Area damage

Crit

Ranged damage

Dodge

For PVP:

Any ring that dispels invulnerability shields. They are extremely dangerous due to bouncing bolt and lay waste hitting multiple targets.

Insignia:

Insignia of spider-man for confuse procs to increase lay waste damage.

Synergies:

Use whatever you got available.

I always pick Cable, Deadpool, Loki, Gambit, Jean grey, wolverine to start with.

Odin Blessings:

Blessing of Hela x4 - We already got high critical hit chance, so lets buff up that brutal strike chance as well. Gugnir L5 proc gets it's full effect as the brutal strike change increase from Hela is flat, so you will score brutal strikes like crazy when it procs.

How to play:

You want to maintain your arcane binding and bouncing bolt debuffs at all time to maximize damage for Lay Waste.

Rotation:

Ranged oriented rotation:

1. Cast bouncing bolt. Bouncing bolt will bounce around a few times, so it is a perfect combat starter fire & forget spell.

2. Cast Illusionary projection to send your current illusions to distract your target.

3. Cast arcane binding.

4. Cast Permafrost Spikes

5. Spam lay waste 2-3 times, depending on your power duration.

6. Go back to step 1.

Melee oriented rotation:

1. Cast bouncing bolt. Bouncing bolt will bounce around a few times, so it is a perfect combat starter fire & forget spell.

2. Cast Illusionary projection to send your current illusions to distract your target.

3. Cast Misdirection to reach your target

4. Cast arcane binding

5. Cast Permafrost Spikes

6. Spam Lay waste 2-3 times while hitting with spatial deception.

7. Cast Cold snap

8. Go back to step 1.

PVP:

Stay at range at all times. You are at your strongest when fighting 2-3 enemies simultaneously.

Keep casting Bouncing Bolt at your targets to keep it bouncing between them. Bouncing bolt will bounce between targets as many times as it is able according to tooltip. It does not matter if there are 2 or 8 enemies, bouncing bolt will always finish it's bounces. If there are only 2 enemies, bouncing bolt will hit each target multiple times. This is your bread and butter for getting kills, as the bounces can not really be avoided.

For heroes with bubble (Jean grey/cable) you want to use Lay waste to take them down. Projectile reflection barriers do not work on Lay waste, but will fling your bouncing bolts off course very quickly.

For more durable heroes, close in while keeping bouncing bolt up, and beat them with spatial deception. You might be surprised how efficient this is. Finish runners off with lay waste and arcane binding.

Take note, arcane binding has 15 second cooldown in PVP, so be sure to use it sparingly.

Be sure to use your unyielding Power whenever you see your enemies huddle up in a Pile. This is when you strike with bouncing bolt and lay waste, and strike them when they least expect.

If you are stunned, use misdirection to break away. Currently the CC removal does not work, but you can still use it while stunned to gain distance. This will save your life over and over again.

If you see Iron Man approaching, immediately teleport away.

Stack health and damage runes. It's all dependant on who you are against. Stack few health runes first if you are facing heroes with high burst damage. After that, go all in with damage runes.

It is also good to be aware of the potential of dots. This build does not have much healing built in to it so dots from scarlet witch/cable/jean grey might cause unnecessary deaths if you are not careful. Always use misdirection to escape if you drop below 50% health. Loki can not Lay Waste on insignifcant whelps when dead.

When approaching enemies in PVP to bomb with Cold Snap, always teleport in with ziggurat and out with misdirection. Ziggurat does not work when stunned where misdirection does. Misdirection is your best survival skill.

Final notes:

The build guide is mostly finished, and i hope you enjoy it. I have had a lot of fun with it, and i hope you do as well. It is immensely effective in PVE and in PVP. Sometimes it might even feel borderline OP because of the amount of spammable AoE the build uses. In patch 2.11 this build is considerably weaker in PVP as it was pre 2.1. He is no longer the god of PVP battleground, but still plays really well and kills players with ease.

If you got any questions, feel free to ask, i will gladly help you in order to enjoy Loki to the fullest. However, i am not much of an numbercruncher, i just pick a build, and tweak it till i feel it feels perfect and go with it. If you got any very specific questions about numbers behind Loki, you will get the most accurate answers from @Glockner, or his Loki Compendium, which can be found from here..

My Loki is mostly inactive for a while now, will resume updating this guide later on when i get more interest to play Loki

Survey:

(yes, i know, everyone hates surveys ;) )

I would appreciate if some of you who like this build would answer this quick questionary:

Do you prefer the Build 1 or Build 2 approach?

Any remarks/improvements/anything i should include in the guide?

Did you change anything?

If you did, what was it, and why?

Is anything unclear in the guide?

Location always there where the evil isPosts: 61 Mighty

Very nice @Nukemi. Well what about an advanced flames of faltine instat of a ziggurat good or bad? to bad i bought the neptuns and not the gungir

True BelieverLocation The Derek Zoolander School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good TooPosts: 3,243 Uncanny

@Necrosh said: Very nice Nukemi. Well what about an advanced flames of faltine instat of a ziggurat good or bad? to bad i bought the neptuns and not the gungir

Either goes. I have yet to find advanced flames of Faltine, so i can not say if it is good or not.

I would imagine it might be better. However, my Ziggurat is Blessed with Blessing of Hela, so it will do for now.

I do not own Hand of Doom either, so the artifact setup might change in the future when i finally get my hands on those bad boys.

Thanks for advice, well to bad i dont have a second hand of doom and a second faltine have both, but hard to say which artis swapp for both, if they are nice. my faltine has 213 crit and ziggurat is nice with the extra dmg on crit otherwise.

edited November 2013

@Necrosh said: Thanks for advice, well to bad i dont have a second hand of doom and a second faltine have both, but hard to say which artis swapp for both, if they are nice. my faltine has 213 crit and ziggurat is nice with the extra dmg on crit otherwise.

I would say to go with the artifacts that have the most crit. Only Pym's shrinking and advanced metasensory array feel like a "must have" to me. Power prism shard aoe is really nice, but i might consider swapping it to either of those if i get them.

On other note, just finished the guide, there might be slight changes done to it over the weekend, but the core of the build should be all there now, along with notes for PVP.

Thanks again @Nukemi, than i will use them both. only thinking where i put in the last 6 points. Looking forward to the guide great work for the Loki community.

edited November 2013

@Necrosh said: Thanks again Nukemi, than i will use them both. only thinking where i put in the last 6 points. Looking forward to the guide great work for the Loki community.

No problem at all, i really enjoy putting my thoughts on writing in order to help people who might be struggling with their Loki builds. There are a lot of choices out there, and this is just one of the builds that work really well.

I chose to go for Enemy of my Enemy for the slight damage rating increase with the remaining of my points. I prefer to leave a few points unassigned in my build guides so that people can tweak the build the way they please without changing much of the core structure.

In this case i see two choices, either unyielding power for a temporary burst, or more constant dps from Enemy of my Enemy.

Thats very nice and kind to help others, i never was good at theory crafting. I tryed it out with the artis and dmg output is pretty cool. i hope we get a insignia upgrade soon have a blue one with massive crit and brutal strike on crit. In the mean time i use a mocking bird with passiv crit as for gungir i will soon get one, i have much more to grind for odin marks since i need bleesings and a legendary for gost rider if he gets realsed as a second main.

@Necrosh said: i hope we get a insignia upgrade soon have a blue one with massive crit and brutal strike on crit.

Agreed. I left out the insignia part of the guide, because i have not set my mind yet between the avenger/shield insignias. I will add in later on when i find one i like. Currently i am using a purple one with dodge and area damage with the confuse proc.

Yeah the same with the ring i got some epic rings and it is really hard to choose the right one. as so fare i got now this morning my dirty hands on the crown of lies, when the fix it that would be awesome than i guess, only the nice ikol is missing in my slot. to bad themy helm is level 59 cost me a lot to upgrade unless i find a 60 version.

@Necrosh said: Yeah the same with the ring i got some epic rings and it is really hard to choose the right one. as so fare i got now this morning my dirty hands on the crown of lies, when the fix it that would be awesome than i guess, only the nice ikol is missing in my slot. to bad themy helm is level 59 cost me a lot to upgrade unless i find a 60 version.

Yep, i would imagine crown of lies is pretty sweet if it works now.

Thanks for reminding about the ring, i forgot to mention that completely. Added!

What i should say is when talking about uniques his sword frezzes a lot i thinking of getting one point in cold snap for some extra bam on bosses, unless it is a dmg lose if it is in the rotation.

edited November 2013

@Necrosh said: What i should say is when talking about uniques his sword frezzes a lot i thinking of getting one point in cold snap for some extra bam on bosses, unless it is a dmg lose if it is in the rotation.

This is true. However, there is nothing i really can strip off from my hotbar. Arcane shield could Possibly be moved behind a function key, but that way i would just forget to cast it all the time, so i prefer it to be visible :). The arcane shield effect is clearly visible in the staff, but it is very easy to miss casting it if it's not there in front of you all the time.

There are a few spare points that can be used for experimentation like this!

Also, added a screenshot of my insignia and the reason behind it. I remembered it wrong in my previous posts. It was area damage and spirit instead of area damage/dodge. Hoping to find a better SM insignia soon.

@Nukemi said: Also, added a screenshot of my insignia and the reason behind it. I remembered it wrong in my previous posts. It was area damage and spirit instead of area damage/dodge. Hoping to find a better SM insignia soon.

Yeah it is the same with the Neptuns final rank some extra dmg for lay waste, havent found a spider insignia yet. it is amazing how many different possibilities loki offers in terms how to build him. as for the bleesing i think it is good for aiming 4 x hela

edited November 2013

@Necrosh said: as for the bleesing i think it is good for aiming 4 x hela

I beat you to it. Just edited that exact same thought in to the original post just few minutes a go ;)

@Nukemi said: I beat you to it. Just edited that exact same thought in to the original post just few minutes a go ;)

:D:D:D. So let the odin mark grinding beginn a lot of work

Furthermore, is there any page where the max stats for a perfect unique is shown. my weapon can be better has 465 mental plus, but i found some 59 versions too and the have 664.

edited November 2013

@Necrosh said: Furthermore, is there any page where the max stats for a perfect unique is shown. my weapon can be better has 465 mental plus, but i found some 59 versions too and the have 664.

Unfortunately i got no idea of the unique ranges either. I have had really bad luck with uniques till yesterday when i finally dropped crown of lies and Armor of Invincibility during one cow run.

If anyone knows, it's probably @Glockner. Let's see if he has the time to respond to us :)

I am also quite keen to know how much +skills can Armor of invincibility and ikol get, along with the max pet damage values of Crown of lies.

@Nukemi said: I am also quite keen to know how much +skills can Armor of invincibility and ikol get, along with the max pet damage values of Crown of lies.

GZ on the items, 60 versions know in cow?. Well i am bleesed always with so many luck in games regardless what game i played lady luck was with me. Well my armor is from the rankings worser than yours. and ikol well that is missing. Golden apples of iduun btw i think the item is only great on bosses they are hard, where you can really die or in pvp for the rezz on it. i think cosmic provides much more rankings in this slot.

And yes when somebody knows a lot than our @Glockner :) Glockner wrote about in a other post the values of the crown.

Location 1-800-555-KILLPosts: 1,717 Fantastic

I'm actually not sure about all the max values on most of Loki's uniques. I know that I've seen some Laevateinns that have over 700 Mental. I don't think I've seen higher than +6 Giant's Blood and +8 Arcane Shield on Armor of Invincibility, and all the Ikols I've seen had +1 All Powers. Pretty sure the max summon damage bonus on Crown of Lies is 25%.

edited November 2013

@Necrosh said: GZ on the items, 60 versions know in cow?.

Nah, i upgraded the armor and still missing 100k credits to upgrade the crown as well :)

I do not consider golden apple as an option because im sporting boots that have +4 lay waste +5 mastery of sorcery and +5 arcane shield :) The "apple boots" are ok at most, but by far the worst unique we can get in my opinion.